1753532 Members
5721 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G1 will not build with SmartStart CD

Darren Page_2
Occasional Contributor

DL380G1 will not build with SmartStart CD

The server has a 733MHz processor, 1.7GB memory, 4 x 36.4GB HDD's, Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller.

The History:
The server was attempted to be built numerous times using the Integrated Smart Array Contoller, but kept getting stuck on installing the System Partition. The server would then have to be re-booted using the SmartStart CD and a System Erase performed and then again the server would have to be hard re-booted. This happened various times using various versions of SmartStart. I updated the BIOS, but I can't remember if the problem that I will mention below started to happen after the BIOS upgrade.

The Problem:
Now, when I attempt to boot from the SmartStart CD, the server gets past the Array Cotnroller, and gets to the following prompt:
F1 - Continue
F10 - System Partition

If I have installed the System Partition using the diskettes, I can boot up into the System Partition. If I select F1, the server attempts to read the CD as the LED lights up on the CD-ROM drive, but then it displays on the screen Non System Disk etc etc.

I have tried the following to resolve the problem:

I have deleted the NVRAM numerous times.
Put the server into BIOS Upgrade recovery mode and re-installed the BIOS.
Installed the Smart Array 3200 Controller.
Tried to install the O/S via diskettes, but gets to the 4th diskette, and Windows 2000 attemps to start, but freezes and the diskette lights constantly stays on.
I have tried booting with the Windows 2000 CD, but get the same message.
I have swapped the CD-ROM drive with another one and the cable.
I have taken the battery out and replaced it and I have taken the Integrated Array controller out and re-seated it.
I created a System Erase Diskette and tried to Erase everything, but at the point of erasing it advises me that the System has been intentionally locked down. I have performed several cold re-boots but the same information gets displayed.

Please could somebody throw some light on how to resolve this problem so I can build this server?
3 REPLIES 3
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

First question I have is the memory you have installed the correct memory that you know of? Have you tried installing with just bare minimum? Try with one HD and one mem stick.

When you said"the server attempts to read the CD as the LED lights up on the CD-ROM drive, but then it displays on the screen Non System Disk etc etc."
What CD is in there? Windows? Smartstart? Also, it would be good to know what ver. of Smartstart you are using.

Also, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I thought the smart array controller on the G1 is built in. If so what card are you pulling out. I have a Cisco MCS-7835 which is a Compaq built DL380, and all have the smart array built in.

Also note, we had a similar problem with a 1600R that would not lock up during erase. We swapped out the smart array and remote insight cards and continued with install. The cards were put in to a different machine and they worked fine.
Darren Page_2
Occasional Contributor

Sean,

Answer to your first question is no I have not tried that yet, but I will do.

When the server attempts to read the CD, I have been using the SmartStart CD and I have tried various versions of SmartStart i.e. 5.20, 5.30, 5.40, 5.50, 4.9.

Yes, the G1 does have a built in Array Controller, but you can take it out if it needs to be replaced.

I will try out your suggestions.
Thanks
Darren Page_2
Occasional Contributor

I have found a solution, the replacement CD-ROM drive was also faulty.