cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380G2 - Need Sound

Tamara Gabriel
Occasional Contributor

DL380G2 - Need Sound

I hape an app running on the DL380G2 server (Win2K srvr) that requires sound for an alert. I have tried to install an external sound card (USB1.1) with no luck. The USB hub shows in Device Manager, but no audio device. The device doesn't light the power light either. I know it works on a laptop (XP) fine. I've called in to tech support, but no one seems to know if it's a "sound" problem or a USB power problem. Any ideas are welcome.
T
3 REPLIES
Gert Luyten
Respected Contributor

Re: DL380G2 - Need Sound

The legacy USB device support was only intended for keyboard/mouse/floppy and or CD-ROM. No idea of your sound device is supported.
A Proliant a day keeps the competition away!
Tamara Gabriel
Occasional Contributor

Well, the experts couldn't come up with any answers, so we came up with our own.
First, the response above is only partially correct. After looking at the matrix of USB supported devices on different servers, the DL380G2 USB port supports the keyboard only. Not a mouse, floppy or CD-ROM.
Second, I found out the sound board required more power than the USB was evidently able to support. At the suggestion of a co-worker, we purchased an externally powered USB hub. We plugged in the powered hub, PnP did it's thing and rebooted the server. Then we plugged in the sound card, the power light came on, PnP did it's thing and after a final reboot, VIOLA!!! we have sound. From a server!
It just proves, that it may not be supported, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
T
Tamara Gabriel
Occasional Contributor

Well, the experts couldn't come up with any answers, so we came up with our own.
First, the response above is only partially correct. After looking at the matrix of USB supported devices on different servers, the DL380G2 USB port supports the keyboard only. Not a mouse, floppy or CD-ROM.
Second, I found out the sound board required more power than the USB was evidently able to support. At the suggestion of a co-worker, we purchased an externally powered USB hub. We plugged in the powered hub, PnP did it's thing and rebooted the server. Then we plugged in the sound card, the power light came on, PnP did it's thing and after a final reboot, VIOLA!!! we have sound. From a server!
It just proves, that it may not be supported, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
T