1748019 Members
4663 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G2 won't boot after RIB board install

Jim Cross_1
Occasional Contributor

DL380G2 won't boot after RIB board install

I tried to install a Riloe II board in a dl380g2 and the docs say it doesn't matter what slot it is in. After the install the system won't boot up at all. I see there is a spot in the user guide that states "Some servers contain DIP switches on the system board to control certain security settings. Before beginning configuration, if the server is equipped with a Configuration Lock Switch, set this switch to off (unlocked). See the documentation or hood labels that shipped with the server for more information about the Configuration Lock Switch. When configuration is complete, return the switch to the on (locked) position." Would this be my problem and is this switch on the dl380g2?
I also see there are switches on the card itself and they havent' been changed since it was opened. I won't be able to shut down the server until I try the change again and I am hoping someone can tell me if this is my problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

Did you fit the 16 to 30-pin cable from the RILOEII to the system board? This cable comes with the DL380G2 so it's either in the chassis somewhere or inside the accesories box for the server.

Also, do not use the Y cable which comes with the RILOEII. The keyboard and mouse signals are routed to the RILOEII when you fit the 16-30 pin cable so you connect the keyboard and mouse to the system board as normal (i.e. you don't connect the cable to the RILOEII external port as with older servers). The RILOEII can fit in any slot in the DL380G2 as you state. See the following link.

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/remote-lightsout/server-slot-matrix.html
(See the note at the bottom of this link re- 16-30 pin cable)

I hope this helps.

Brian

Jim Cross_1
Occasional Contributor

From the documentation I found on the web site it says to use the 30 pin cable to connect the RILOE II. That is the one we used that came with the card, not the 16 - 30 pin cable. I think the server is starting because we can see the floppy disk activity during the sequence. I believe the problem is we are using the wrong cable and the display is not working. Following trying the install of the board the mouse for that server stopped working and never came back after a reboot or when we pulled the card , so I am thinking that is related to the display not working either. This is the link I used to determine which cable we used. The table says to use G which is the 30 pin. If I try the 16-30 do you think the display will work and the mouse will come back to life?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the confusion. While I was looking for the information I checked the RILOE V1 and RILOE V2 models. The link I added was for the earlier model so ignore that although the RILOEII link is on this page at the top.

You appear to have set it up correctly (using the 30 pin cable) so I must assume that the card is faulty. Get it checked/replaced by HP under warranty (depends on when you bought it I suppose)

Regards,

Brian