New Discussion юеВ

DL380G3 Automatic Server Reboot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mark Grace
Occasional Advisor

DL380G3 Automatic Server Reboot

I am getting this error after an unexpected reboot:

System Information Agent: Health: The server is operational again. The server has previously been shutdown by the Automatic Server Recovery (ASR) feature and has just become operational again.

[SNMP TRAP: 6025 in CPQHLTH.MIB]

Now, the agent may just be doing it's job, which is fine... However, I am wondering if anyone has seen an issue with the agent causing unwarrented random reboots. This box has rebooted a number of times in the last few weeks. I have disabled the agent to see if the server just hangs instead, does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks!
18 REPLIES 18
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380G3 Automatic Server Reboot

I've never seen the systems management driver cause the server to reboot, unless the machine is locked up for some reason. The agent don't do anything, except to report. The agents don't take any actions.

Have you run diagnostics? Any third party hardware installed? Any errors in the event viewer (besides this one)?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Don Gonzales_1
Occasional Advisor

I usually disable ASR for troubleshooting purposes. This will allow you to see the stop error that is causing the problem. ASR is disabled in BIOS.
Mark Grace
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for the replies.

So, the system agent itself doesn't do the reboot, the BIOS does? How does the BIOS detect when the server is hung?
Mark Grace
Occasional Advisor

Also, to answer your question, there is a USR Robotics internal modem installed in that server.

Software wise it's running Windows 2000 and a clinical application called Emergisoft.
Schueler
Advisor
Solution

Hi!

This is a normal reaction of the ASR (Automatic Server Recovery)! It does Actions on different errors and conditions like Memory Errors, Thermal conditions, ...
Normally you can see the cause of the problem in the integrated management log. To bring the server in normal state you have to clear the ASR Alarm and the Log!
Also you can disable the ASR in the Agents System Management Homepage -> Recovery!

Greetz
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The systems managment driver is what causes the reboot. The only actions an agent will ever take will be to send an SNMP trap (which is what you're getting).

To make sure the agent doesn't have anything to do with it you could uninstall the agents, but I don't believe this would make any difference.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I also don't believe your getting a stop error, because this is something which should show in the event log.
Mark Grace
Occasional Advisor

Driver to me means something installed on the server.. Do you mean the BIOS setting or a piece of software? IE - the only way to prevent the reboots is to disable the ROM/BIOS setting, which requires a reboot, correct?

And you are right, I am not getting any other events except unpected reboot and the event I posted above.
Mark Grace
Occasional Advisor

Ah, I just saw your mesage Schuler, I'll give that a shot. Thanks.