New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G3 Debian live CD

SOLVED
Go to solution
DeepakKat
Advisor

DL380G3 Debian live CD

Hello Experts,
In DL380G3, I have only one hard drive and hence Raid0 is default in Logic drive(array controller).

Following webiste states that "DL380 G3-->
SCSI-Raid-1,Raid-5-->
Working 100% perfectly; Raid setup using Raid Bios option while booting
"
Ref: http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant

1.Does it mean that I need one more hard drive to install the debian.
2.Does it need more then one harddrive to install Debian on Proliant server ?

I can run a debian live CD, but it doesnt detect and hard drives(raid0), from above website do you think debian need two harddrive??
16 REPLIES 16
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

1. No
2. No.

Actually it means that Debian has drivers for the raid controller and "understands" its LUNs. Just create a "raid" with one disk (i think it will be raid0) and go on. But it's really better to have at least two disk in mirror.
Use this link http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/software/debian/index.html to find a server models that support Debian.
DeepakKat
Advisor

Hi,
Thnanks for answer..

I beleived from the website that I need to change the Rais setting to install debian from Live CD.

But on powerup after Pressing F8 for ORCA setting, it only shown raid 0.
and on after running live CD, it shows there is no hard drive in system.

so may be it required minimum two drives so live cd can show the one drive to install the linux..

cheers,
deepak
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

which version of debian do you try to install on this server ??

mikap
Prokopets
Respected Contributor
Solution

Deepak, OS doesn't know if you have made raid 0 or raid 1 or 5. It just can see or can't see a LUN from SmartArray (i believe, you are using Smart Array controller, am i right?).
So, i think that it's a problem in Debian, not in your hardware configuration. Can you try to boot with RedHat or CentOS (if you have this distributions somewhere by hand)? I'm sure, you'll find your raid0 lun without any problems.
By the way, what version of Debian are are you trying to boot?
DeepakKat
Advisor

Hi,
I am using debian 5.0-lenny live cd and thinks that it supports DL380 G3 without any problems..

> After pressing F8, I tried to create two logical drive for 34GB drive, but it not allowing to create a logical drive. while raid 0 is default for whole setup.
after running the live Cd, Hard drive is not recognised by linux.. and not going further..

>I read that withount any logical drive, system will assign the whole drive as a one logic derive. and that should have to solve the problem..but still getting stuck..

>now I bought one more drive to configure the system in raid 1, once I understand about the duplex and simplex setting for Hard drive then I will try again..

>one more basic thing to know..how can I install the linux from live CD, I have never worked before with live cd. it is good concept that everything gets upper running without installation. but after running up, how can I install this cd on server..presently I cannot reach this stage because Hard drive is not detected by this live cd.

Cheers,
Deepak

Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Deepak, i'm not familiar with Debian, but is it absolutely necessary for you to use live cd? Can you just try to install using regular install cd or dvd? I suspect that your problem is in live cd, not in server.
DeepakKat
Advisor

Dear,
I have tried to boot from iso image, but still no response.
I have tried following ISO Ubuntu 10.04. Fedora12, Ubuntu linux server edition 9.1 and debian 5.0. ..these ISO files are from Magazine DVD, so need to worry about the MD5 error.for extracting the ISO format, I have used Winrar and DAEMON Tools Pro tool and copied the content on CD-R.
I have tried all four CD to boot the server, but it is not recognising the bootalble cd.

while the debianlenny live CD is displaying the GUI, but it get stuck for a while with following error:
hda: driver not ready for command
Station error status 0x48{Driver ready Data request}
ide:failed opcode was unknown
ide cd: command 0x28 time out
hda:DMA timeout retry

I guess due to the above error, Lenny live Cd is not recognising any Hard drive in the system.
I read that if I remove the HD,CDrom, tape drive and floppy drive then this error will disapear.
but then problem is that how I will boot the server..

Proliant server is configured for PCI Duplex SCSI.
Channel 1 - PCI card - 2,3,4,5 Drive bay
Channel 2 - Internal scsi port2 - 0,1 Drive bay
I have set OCRA for RAID 1 setup. 0 and 1 drive contains 36GB drives.
Two logic drives 0 and 1

Do you think I have use some special software to burn the cd for linux..
special setting required for burning the cd..
?

cheers,
Deepak
Prokopets
Respected Contributor

Deepak, unfortunately non of the distributions that you have tried to boot are officially supported for this server (here's the servers overview: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11473_div/11473_div.HTML ). According this link i can give you only one advise (except voodoo with drivers): try to boot with SuSe or RedHat or as a last resort try CentOS.
DeepakKat
Advisor

Hi,
I have checked few posting about the DL380G3 and Debian.
I think it will work..
Live CD shows the GUI, it means it is compatible with DL380G3 hardware..

Suse and Redhat are very expensive...
I cannot effort this to buy..

I will update, when I find the solution..
In meanwhile, if somebody can answers me about the CD burning softwre will be helpfull...

Cheers,
Deepak