1753428 Members
4908 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G3 High noise fan

Andreas Bauer

DL380G3 High noise fan

Folks,
We bought a DL380G3. 2xXeon 2,4GHz, 1536 RAM, 6 x scsi disks, full fan redundancy and two power supples. OS is Win2K SP3 US. Smartstart 6.40. Support pack 6.40. Latest Bios installed. Problem are the fans, which running at full speed all the time. Problem is already noticed to HP support. They changed the system-baord - no effect. The Advanced system management driver couldn't be installed. The message ist "This software don't need to be installed on this system". I know, the fans should be hardware controlled - but it doesn't work. Same problems at DL360G3. Any more ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Matthews_4
Advisor

I don't believe these fan are running at full speed - I thought I had the same problem until I used a program called "heavy load" which caused the server to warm up - The fans increased in speed and when the server cooled the reduced in speed. The fans are loud i know but this is normal

Do a search on internet for heavy load (heavyload.exe) program and give it a go

Ian
I.Delic
Super Advisor

With supportpack software yuou can check the temperatur in your systeem. Is the temparature ok ?

At the boot time you should hear noise fan but after couple minute your fan's should be normal.

Can you find something in the ROM ? Did yuo check that

succes
Colleen Whaley
Advisor

Try this: try install the latest System Management Driver (Health Driver). Also update the System ROM with the "Single Point Solution Systems ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for ProLiant DL360 G3 Servers" dated March 19, 2003 (03/19/03), available as SoftPaq SP23886. When the update is complete, power off the server and ensure that the SW2 System Maintenance Switch S3 is set to the "OFF" position. Restart the server. Once the operating system and the System Management Driver (Health Driver) have loaded, the speed of the fans will be reduced and monitored properly, being adjusted as needed based on the temperature sensors inside the server.
Check Insight Manager to display current server conditions as well as the threshold for each component being monitored, it will issue alerts when any component in the system is not performing optimally.
Scott_232

I "had" same issue. It all began when I was giving a demo of the hot swappable components. Come to find out I removed the pci riser and for some reason wasn't seated properly or something. We popped it out and reseated and saw the green power light on. In addition, there are two black buttons on the side of the riser that showed amber or red leds. I pushed and reset those. When I powered up the fans were at normal speed.
Remon van Gijn
Frequent Advisor

We have exactly the same problem here as the topic starter all that time ago.
total 10 DL380G3 servers with redundant fan sets and pwr supplies, and what a Noise...
Complaints all over the place form technical staff walking in and out of the room and sometimes sitting down for some work.

The HP Proliant Advanced system management driver for w2k Does not want to install.
The servers have the latest Bios as well.
None of the 360 kind of fixes apply to the dl80.
Without the advanced management diver the fans are not trimmed down by the os, and there is pleanty of cooling.
Any resolves for this ?
Andreas Bauer

solved
Jim McGuffin
Advisor