5386 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G4 - Fan Noise

Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

Scott,

Do you have redundant power supplies? Is the redundant unit plugged in?

If you have the additional power supply and don't have it plugged in, the system will assume it is in a degraded state and force all fans to full speed.

-Andrew
Yatin_1
Occasional Contributor

You try installing Proliant Support Pack from the Smart Start CD. I faced the same problem with DL 380 G3 server.
Scott Maxwell_2
Advisor

Just double checked, yes we do have redundant power supplies, they are both plugged in and operational.
I've run up the 7.50 PSP and it made no difference.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers
Jeff Lawrence
Regular Advisor

I have the same issue running a DL380 G4 SCSI. I did a fresh install of Windows 2003 EE R2 and the fans do not power down. I installed PSP 7.51 and the latest firmware. I have other G4 servers that I purchased at the same time running 2K3 EE SP1 and they are not like this, they are very quiet.
srinath raju
Advisor

Hi All,
Looking at all the issues with regards to the fan. I suggest that you check the position of the processor heat sink, and confirm that it is positioned in such a way that the heat is pushed of thenprocessor is pushed to rear end of the system There have been instances when the heat sink have been positioned wrongly which results in loud noise. I am sure this might solve the noise issue. Please do let me know if this idea would help you and if not we can take it from there.

Regards

Srinath
Gary Hayers

Has there been any developments regarding this yet? I have a pair of DL380 G4's and it sounds like I should attach wings to them and let them fly!
MMurfster
Frequent Advisor

Wow, an old thread. I'm sitting here with a 380G5 with all the fans (12). If I pull out just one of the fans, all others start spinning up (=very loud).
Does that G4 have all it's fans? Wonder if it was fully populated with all the redundant fans that it would quiet down.
I'll go searchin' for a G4 to play with to see what I can find.
Scott Maxwell_2
Advisor

This is still an ongoing issue for me, the problem I now have is that all of my servers are in production and it is difficult to find the time to do an outage to try various things.
It is possible that the heatsink fitment isn't adequate (but unlikely given that all of mine are similiar and obviously others from around the world).
Mine do have the full assortment of fans

Cheers
Gary Hayers

As do mine, all 8 fans are in place and spinning. The health driver is loaded and the server is also running the latest bois updates. I am in a simular position in that my 2 servers are also in production.
martin van es
Occasional Advisor

I also have the same problem.

we have 2 DL380 in service. Both with 8 fans producing a lot of noice!...They are in a climat controlled room, so temperature is not a issue!

Why isn't there just a simple utility that turns the rpm of the fans down when it get cooler.

For normal desktop pc's there are several verry good tools for this, they can adjust the rpm/voltage step-less from almost 0/zerro to full speed, depending on the temperature.

Why isn't this possible with this server??
Also hardware fan controllers is not a option snice all the fans are hot pluggable, and thus not connected with a wire. so i can not put a external/hardware fan controller in front of them.

Please... who has the solution to turning down the fans...