Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380G4 - Fan Noise

MTC
Frequent Advisor

DL380G4 - Fan Noise

Hi All,

I have just purchased some DL380 G4's. Now the fans on these are very very loud. The fans remain the same speed from POST. I normally expect that when the OS loads, and the management drivers run that the fans should drop speed.

I have the latest BIOS, & PSP 7.30 installed. All the management agents are running.

If I go into Insight Diagnostics, it reports that all fans are running at Normal Speed.

The server room is very cool.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help

David

33 REPLIES
MTC
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380G4 - Fan Noise

I forgot to mention,

Server is running Windows 2003 & SP1

Single Processor Xeon

Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi David

Fans have variable speed. When the temperature in server reaches to desired level, they will switch over to reduced speed. Please ensure environmental temprature is within limits

Regards
Mahesh
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Do you have other DL380 G4s which don't have this problem?

I would verify whether the fans are spinning at the higher speeds by bringing the machine down to just 3 fans (server requires 4 to stay up) and see what the other fans do. As long as you put the fan back in within 60 seconds server will not shutdown when you do this. What do the other fans do when you do this?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
MTC
Frequent Advisor

If I pull one of the fans out, the other fans in the system do NOT spin up as I would expect.

The only thing that happens is the server sounds a little quieter due to one less fan.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

How many fans do you have installed total? If you have 6 installed and you reduce it to 5, it won't make any difference at all.
MTC
Frequent Advisor

I have also done another test.

I have added another 3 fans to the system

(it comes with 4 + 1 cpu fan) so I now have 6 + 2 cpu fans (only running 1 cpu) and the server has made no change to fan speeds.

Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I'm not aware of any issues with the fans in DL380 G4's. Are all the G4s you received exhibiting the same problem? This is happening with just 3 fans installed?

The fan speed in the server isn't dependant on any agents or driver. The only difference the system management driver will make is to allow for a range a speeds, instead of just high speed or normal.
MTC
Frequent Advisor

There is no difference between 3 fans or 6 fans...

MTC
Frequent Advisor

All G4's that I have purchased are doing the same thing..

These servers do not act like any other compaq / hp servers that I have ever purchased. Normally the fans will run at high speeds until the OS loads the health driver.

MTC
Frequent Advisor

Anyone have any ideas on this?

I am at a complete loss.

Ralph Burkhardt
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem with a DL380 G3, W2k3 PSP 7.30 and latest Bios. Is there really no solution for this problem??
Kevin Brown_4
Frequent Advisor

I too have the exact same issue with my new DL380 G4.
I have the fan option installed so I have 6 of them in the server.
The room it is in, is climate controlled by three 5 ton AC units. It's a constant 67 degrees in there. Still the fans are running at a high rate.
It seems that this is a normal condition for these servers?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

First, everyone should stop assuming what speed their fans are turning at and (as suggested in the first post of this thread) check Insight diagnostics or the Insight agents to see if the fans are in fact spinning at high speed or at normal speed.

Secondly, don't be surprised at the amount of air that needs to be moved through the chassis (which is directly related to fan speed)--the DL380G4 produces almost twice the amount of heat the DL380G3 did, primarily due to the newest processors:

DL380G3 BTU Rating: 1,475 BTU/HR
from http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11473_div/11473_div.HTML#Technical%20Specifications

DL380G4 BTU Rating: 2,508 BTU/HR
from
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html#Technical%20Specifications

Has anyone ever found a resolution to this problem, and I mean problem.
I have 6 DL380's which all exhibit very loud fans. So much so that it is nearly unbearable.

We also used an IBM server in the same form factor with identical CPU's. the IBM servers were nearly silent in comparison. If we weren't pretty much a HP House I would have used the IBM servers.

I am running W2K and a colleague has 2 running W2K3 and both are at the same volume.

Mine has a single Xeon 3.4Ghz proc, his has dual 3.4Ghz

All are in a server room that stays at a constant 21'C.

The reason it is a problem is that I want to run a redundant unit in a remote location that happens to be near office staff. They are rather unhappy at present.

Cheers
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Scott, what do the Insight agents report the fan status as?

Hi

Sorry for the delay, I'm still attempting to find this information from Insight manager.
Cheers

I've been trying to find an actual CPU/System temperature or fan speed in rpm but am not having any luck.

All insight manager is telling me is that the temp and fan is normal.

This is the same for all of the servers. ;-(
tobias.schmidt
Occasional Advisor

Hey David,
please install the new PSP 7.5 from the download site. please check that the newest healthdriver is installed. the health driver send the commands to spin down the fans

I've tried the 7.50 PSP, I personally couldn't detect any difference. I would be interested to see if anyone else found an improvement.

I am beginning to think this is simply by design, The Xeon processors used, do run very hot and HP are taking no chances with longevity. The IBM design probably allows the processors to run at a higher temperature, still with Intel's guidelines which are also rather high.

Maybe the next gen processors based around Woodcrest will allow for a far more quiet 2RU server

Cheers
Scott
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

Scott,

Do you have redundant power supplies? Is the redundant unit plugged in?

If you have the additional power supply and don't have it plugged in, the system will assume it is in a degraded state and force all fans to full speed.

-Andrew
Yatin_1
Occasional Contributor

You try installing Proliant Support Pack from the Smart Start CD. I faced the same problem with DL 380 G3 server.

Just double checked, yes we do have redundant power supplies, they are both plugged in and operational.
I've run up the 7.50 PSP and it made no difference.
Thanks anyway.
Cheers
Jeff Lawrence
Regular Advisor

I have the same issue running a DL380 G4 SCSI. I did a fresh install of Windows 2003 EE R2 and the fans do not power down. I installed PSP 7.51 and the latest firmware. I have other G4 servers that I purchased at the same time running 2K3 EE SP1 and they are not like this, they are very quiet.
srinath raju
Advisor

Hi All,
Looking at all the issues with regards to the fan. I suggest that you check the position of the processor heat sink, and confirm that it is positioned in such a way that the heat is pushed of thenprocessor is pushed to rear end of the system There have been instances when the heat sink have been positioned wrongly which results in loud noise. I am sure this might solve the noise issue. Please do let me know if this idea would help you and if not we can take it from there.

Regards

Srinath