1752522 Members
4599 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G4 /SmartArray6i bootdisk selection

hakon farnes

DL380G4 /SmartArray6i bootdisk selection

How can I select wich bootdisk to use ?

Prior to OS inst I did play around with arrays and logical drives, creating and deleting.
As OS preparation I ended up with one array with one logical disk. Inst of OS was no problem.
However, when creating a new array and logical driv from the unused disks, that new drive is asumed to the bootdisk, and hence boot fails. Rebooting to ACU and removing the data drive gives me back the bootable drive.
If bootdisk selection not is possible, I'll have to remove/recreate all arrays/logical drives and reinstall OS.

The logical drive containing the OS is named Drive2 no matter what I do, and the first logical drive created is named Drive1. It the seems like bootdisk is the lowest existing drive. I have not so far been able to find a way to configure this.

Thaks for any tip,
H├еkon Farne
3 REPLIES 3
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

The problem is to make one of the partitions on the disk bootable -setting the partition as "Active" with FDISK for example. It isn't the array controller doing this, it's the boot loader.
hakon farnes

Thanks for the tip, but I don't think this covers my case. By BIOS the server try to boot on CD -> HDD -> NIC. I think that what BIOS consider a HDD is what the RAID adapter offers.

The ACU is expressing the size of what it calls "bootdisk", but I can not find a way to control wich drive/partition to be concidered "bootdisk".
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Try installing windows manually i.e. boot from windows operating system cd. and select the partition or volume you want to install the o/s.