4507 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G5 16GB Memory Configuration Error

SOLVED
Go to solution
Freem

DL380G5 16GB Memory Configuration Error

I have a DL380 G5 server populated with 6 memory DIMMs 2GB each (12GB total). The server is working fine with this setup.

Once I add 2 more memory DIMMs 2GB each (16GB total), the server doesn't power up at all. When I press the power button, the server starts with a blank screen, fans running at high speed, and insight display shows a memory configuration problem with all DIMMs in amber color. The server is not accessible until I revert back to 12GB.

Upgrading to firmware 8.10 didn't fix the problem. All the memory DIMMs are identical. All have the same HP part number. No changes were made to the default RBSU. All memory DIMMs work perfectly if I remove ANY pair of DIMMs and re-arrange them for 12GB setup.

What could be the problem.
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,
Could you try clearing the NVRAM using the system maintenance switch ? & then add the additional DIMMs.

Regards,
Freem

I'm not sure how to do that. Will completely erasing the system using SmartStart 8.00 do the same thing? What if doing this doesn't fix the problem; What to do next?

I'm currently away from the server location and I'm trying to figure out what is the cause of this problem.

I have only one processor in the server, I'm wondering if 16 GB is supported with only one processor or not?
Gary Antonio Benavides
Trusted Contributor

In order to clear the NVRAM as recommended by James, there is a maintenance switch on the system board, you need to set the number 6 to the on position and boot the server. Check page 87, or you can boot to the BIOS by pressing F9 when prompt in order to access the Rom based setup utitliy, go to advanced option and click on Erase Non-volatil memory.
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00710359/c00710359.pdf

Try to boot only with 6 memories and run the online BIOS ROM Update to check if that makes a difference.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodNameId=3288134&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-4962e8b2fe484a159d7bc7234c

If it's not fun, you're not doing it right
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

>I have only one processor in the server, I'm wondering if 16 GB is supported with only one processor or not?

There is no such thing for this server. 16GB is well supported with Dual or Quad core processor(s).

Regards,