Did you mean: 

DL380G5 - P400 RAID setup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hugo Stroebel
Occasional Contributor

DL380G5 - P400 RAID setup

Hi Guys,

I am setting up a DL380G5 with 8 SAS 146gig drives, I would like to setup a mirror with 2 50gig logical partitions and the rest of the space as raid6.

Now the questions is what is the difference if i only select 2 physical drives and create the array and then create the logical drives as Raid1 then select the rest of the drives and create raid6 logical. Or if i select all the drives and create the logical drives as raid1 and raid6 with the sizes required?

This is confusing me as it seems that you are creating the raid on the logical level and not the physical level?

Hope i am making some sense here!
1 REPLY
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380G5 - P400 RAID setup

Hi, Hugo !

You cannot create array with all drives and then create different RAID levels on this array. You can create RAID only on physical level.

So use first way - " select 2 physical drives and create the array and then create the logical drives as Raid1 then select the rest of the drives and create raid6 logical"

Such way you will have 146 Gb RAID-1 (2*146 drives) and 584 Gb RAID-6 (6*146 drives)
Note that RAID-6 is slow, probably you better to use RAID-5 or RAID-5 with online spare.