ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753427 Members
4689 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380G5 Single processor max memory?

blimpman

DL380G5 Single processor max memory?

I would like to know what the max memory a single processor ( Dual or Quad core) can support in a DL380G5 server. The motherboard supports 64GB but I am unsure if you need dual processors to use the maximum memory.
5 REPLIES 5
Kotate
Advisor

Re: DL380G5 Single processor max memory?

Hello blimpman

The max memory for the DL385 G5 is 32 GB (8 x 4 GB)

Regards
blimpman

Actually I stated that I was looking at the DL380 G5. My question is how much memory will a single processor support in this server.
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Xeon processors use a single memory controller that is part of the chip set on the north bridge. There is no difference or dependency on the number of processors. Opteron processors have a memory controller on each processor and memory is local to the processor in a NUMA configuration. If I have 4 memory sockets per processor, I can only use the sockets of processors that are populated.

Models ending in a 0 use Xeon processors and ending in a 5 use Opteron processors.
PLunde

We tried installing a pair of 8GB Fully Buffered ECC DIMMs (Crucial CT2KIT102472AF667), but they did not work; therefore, we believe the maximum is 8 x 4GB = 32GB (as advertised).

Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Im little confused here 

" Xeon processors use a single memory controller that is part of the chip set on the north bridge. There is no difference or dependency on the number of processors "
> does this mean we can use all the slots for memories on the board doesnt matter if it has just one processor ? Models ending in a 0 use Xeon processors
If so under Dl380 G6 why is this mentioned " NOTE: If only one processor is installed, only half the DIMM slots are available "

"Opteron processors have a memory controller on each processor and memory is local to the processor in a NUMA configuration. If I have 4 memory sockets per processor, I can only use the sockets of processors that are populated "
> This is understood however I was under a impression that all the proliants needs the corresponding CPUS installed to the corresponding memory modules to work

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala