4879 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G5 and HP LSI Ultra 320 Scsi

Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Hi Juan,

On the first link you posted, the server is stated as supporting the "64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2" controller.

On the tape drive page you linked, it clearly states that the drive supports "64-Bit/133-MHz Single Channel Ultra320 SCSI HBA G2".

This IS the LSI SCSI card that the original poster is using - HP just name it this way to avoid the OEM rebadging being so obvious.

As far as I can see, the server is clearly listed as supporting this controller, as is the tape drive.

I can see "HP StorageWorks 1U SCSI Rack-mount kit with one LTO-3 Ultrium 920" listed on the server specs, stating as clearly as I can see, that the drive, controller and tape drive are all fully built to support each other.
Dayton Hight

I have had exactly this issue after installing the storport hotfix from Microsoft (as well as bringing the storage controller driver etc up to date). I took the advice of a previous reply and stopped all of the HP Insight services and ran my backup successfully for the first time in over three weeks. I have a case number open with HP about this issue so I will bring it to their attention and see what they say.
Melhus

Happy to hear, Dayton.
One month since I stopped the Insight services now - backup have not failed since...

Ketil
COULANGE

Hi all.

Any new informations about this problem ?
Will they make an update of the Insight agents to make them compatibles with this harware ?

Otherwise, I will wait and see.

Thanks.
Dayton Hight

We have nearly got a solution from HP! We have closed the call with HP but there isn't a total resolution. In the end we had to reinstall the HP Systems Management Homepage software and upgrade the HP Insight Agents to the latest version. In the Control Panel on the server, there is an item for HP Management Agents. We have had to leave 'SCSI Information' as an Inactive agent - this was the one causing the issue with the backup (when Active, the backup fails with the Hardware Error). HP have advised that they don't have a resolution for this at the moment and that we must wait for another update to the HP Insight Agents.

Hope this helps.
Russell Blakely

I set the 'SCSI Information' as an Inactive agent, but the error still happened. It was only when I disabled the HP Insight services in Windows that the SCSI error stopped.
That's not a satisfactory workaround because it means I can't monitor the server hardware. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Thanks.
Phil Persson

I too am having this problem - Support ticket has been logged, but the only progress that seems to be happening is I'm being asked the same questions over and over. Apparently my ticket has been escalated to the 'backline' people, but I'm not holding my breath.

It sounds like a very specific problem with the HP SC11Xe Host Bus Controller and the HP Management Agents.

For me disabling the agents does the trick (putting the SCSI Information doesn├в t help for me).

What I have done is to create 2 batch files - One to stop the HP Management agents and the other to start and schedule the services to be stopped prior to the tape backups and then starting after the backups have finished.

Very frustrating though ├в I am a massive HP fan, but their support on this problem for me has been quite disappointing.

Phil P
Thomas Pfeifer

Sorry about my english - I have the same problem and I solved it by deinstalling the

- HP Insight Management WBEM Providers for Windows Servers

We have to identicall Systems - ML350 G5 / Ultrium 920. One worked and the other did not. So I checked the difference and it is the WBEM Provider for Windows. So I uninstalled it and now the system does the trick.

Configuration ML350G5 / SC11Xe - HP LSI-U320 / Ultrium 920 / Symantec Backup Exec 12.5/Windows Server 2008-64Bit

Kind regards

Thomas Pfeifer
Andrew Morison
Occasional Contributor

I've got exactly the same problem, with basically the same hardware:

Configuration ML350G5 / SC11Xe - HP LSI-U320 / Ultrium 920 / Symantec Backup Exec 12.5/Windows Server SBS2008-64Bit

I get an error in Backup Exec about an unknown error which Symantec blame on HP and LSI basically. It has to do with thier new User Mode drivers.

I've followed the instructions in this forum about turning off the management agents. Have turned off the following:

HP Storage Agent
HP Foundation Agent

I am using PSP 8.15.

From the looks of this thread, this has been going on for a long time and this not an adequate response from any party.

Has HP suggested replacing the Scsi card to anyone? It seems that a lot of talk has gone into the Tape Drive, but it seems to be that a change in Scsi Controller maybe the easiest change.

Fingers crossed, my first backup with the change is still going..

Andrew Morison
Techno Phobia.
cst

for me it is now working after removing the scsi information agent.
i am wondering what type of information i currently could miss because of that. does anyone have an idea?