ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748102 Members
5369 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G5 and HP LSI Ultra 320 Scsi

Cas Krist

I had the same problems on SBS 2008. I stopped and disabled the "HP WMI Storage Provider" now my backup works.
Mihai Hornet

I have a DL385 G5, Ultrium 960 tape attached to LSI U320 SCSI HBA (the only device attached), PSP 8.15, Windows Server 2003 SP2 and BackupExec 11d (7170 SP3 + hot fixes).

I experienced random backup failures same as described in other posts and also BSODs every 3 or 4 days (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL).

After reading some threads on hp and Symantec forums I suspect something related to Microsoft storport driver is wrong but updating it didn't help.

Yesterday I have replaced the storport version of LSI U320 driver with the plane SCSI driver (update driver, install from specific location), the driver is already available in the system, it only has to be selected.

The backups are fine now, no more errors, but I have to wait at least 1 week to be sure that the situation is stable.

I hope this helps.
Mihai Hornet

One week passed and all my backups are successful. It looks like it is a storport problem, at least in my case.

See also: https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=115&thread.id=23715
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Mihai

I have similar issue

"Yesterday I have replaced the storport version of LSI U320 driver with the plane SCSI driver (update driver, install from specific location), the driver is already available in the system, it only has to be selected."

but I don't get what you mean by "plane SCSI driver"???

would you mind to specify how?

thanks a lot
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Mihai Hornet

Hi Karlo,

All I did was to update driver from Device Manager: Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) -> Don't search I will choose the driver to install -> then I got a compatible hardware list and selected LSI Logic PCI-X Ultra 320 SCSI Host Adapter.

I have attached a print screen with this selection. You will notice two storport drivers, this is because I have also tryed the latest driver from LSI site.

Please see also:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms803198.aspx

Another solution might be to use the tape driver from Symantec Backup Exec + LSI storport driver but I haven't tryied this configuration.

Mihai
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Mihai Hornet

thank you very much
info and screen is totally helpful

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Robert Orford

I have a DL380 G5, LSI U320 card and an Ultrium 960 external tape drive.

Windows 2003 R2 x64 - Latest patches as of Feb 18th 2009
Backup Exec 12.5d - Latest patches as of Feb 18th 2009
HP PSP 8.15b

Backup exec was failing with "Unknown system error" and the HP Library and tape tools was failing around 10gb on a Read/Write test without giving any errors.

HP replaced the SCSI card, SCSI cable and the drive.. still the same problem.

So whats the fix?
In the control panel, open HP Management Agents and on the Services tab select the agent named: SCSI Information
Then press the Remove button
After this is done, Press OKAY and let it restart the agents.

Problem solved.

Peter H.
Frequent Advisor

I have the same problem since weeks on a Windows Server 2008 an DP 6.1
I'd like to try the storport driver, so where can I download it? Using a LSI U320 SCSI card.
The storport driver worked for years without any problems on a Server 2003 with DP 5.5

Thanks a lot.
Salvatore Gadaleta

hi,
I had the same problem in the past..
We successfully resolved the issue by disabling the all the HP services listed on the attachement.
As today the backup successfully completed.
I'll notify you if I have any other issues.
I think the problem was due to the HP services were polling the SCSI channel and was failing the backup process.

Sorry, if I made any error on my spelling. Thank you!

Mark Lehrmann
Occasional Advisor

I've had the same issue, most recently with DL380G4, HP branded LSI SCSI cards and the Ultrium drives.
The Microsoft update for the storeprot driver had older versions of the files than the ones in use on the server, so I haven't applied it.
The backup jobs run when the agents were disabled. HP support mentioned disabling the fibre tape support using the HP Agent applet in control panel. Seems to be working, but this is the first backup still running with the agents started up.