1754020 Members
7391 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380G5 burning hot power supplies.

Brian Shepard
Advisor

DL380G5 burning hot power supplies.

I racked 3 new DL380G5 servers this morning and plugged in all six power supplies, but I did not power-on. I came back after lunch and smelled somthing burning. All 3 server's power supplies were BURING HOT. I could not touch the back of the servers where the power supplies are located without burning my finger. Not red hot, but the same as touching an electric stove burner set on low. It was DAMN hot. The plastic on the AC cords was not melted, but very close to melting. The rack where these 3 servers are located has other servers plugged into the same rack power strip and they are fine. Anyone have any theories? What puzzling me is that it's happening on all 3 of the new servers. I could understand if it was just one of the 3 new servers, but 3 new servers and all six power supplies are burning hot is strange.
5 REPLIES 5
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380G5 burning hot power supplies.

hi

can you compare power supplies between old server an new ones?

I mean compare revision, spare number that could give you an idea if they are the same you can swap power supplies between servers too

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

I saw a number of DL380 G5, and some of my customers also reported that to me.I asked HP and they told me that it is normal. In your case I would log a call. It seems to me that the power supplies are much hotter then in my case.

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Friend,

are thay connected on same phase as the other rack server. Maybe problem is electricity installation.

It's very strange.
They can be hot but so highly?

Predrag
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes in fact for G5 that behavior is normal Power supplies too but as Patrick Terlisten says if they are that hot almost melting cables that is normal at all

so try swapping power supplies and check number
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian Shepard
Advisor

Thanks all,

I contacted HP Support and this is normal.
The power supply fans do not run continuously
on the DL380G5 while it's in standby mode and the power supplies do indeed run hotter
than previous generations of DL380s.