108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380G5 fault drives SAS

pdv_1
Occasional Advisor

DL380G5 fault drives SAS

Hello!
I have a problem with server DL380G5.
All 8 boxes in a basket are occupied SAS by disks 72Gb and mount in RAID5 with hotspare. Some times there was a situation when two disks do not function. Visually looks so: on two disks NOT light all indicators, hotspare the disk works. Two failed disks usually stand nearby, for example 2 and 3, or 3 and 4 box.

I have tried to establish faulty disks on other same server. They successfully started and continue to work without errors.

Configuration of a problem server:
8 SAS disks 72Gb (RAID5 7 + 1 hotspare)
SmartArray 200 with battery cache
OS - vmWare ESX 4

Firmware are established with firmware cd v8.7
5 REPLIES 5
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

if you have RAID5 and 2 disks will fail, the raid will be destroyed. Only RAID6 can handle 2 disks failure.

in this case i would recommnd update the formware to the highest version, on all components.

check the raid with ADU.

mikap
pdv_1
Occasional Advisor

Crashes happened and earlier. I have refreshed wearings to versions on firmware maintance CD 8.7. Crashes have proceeded.

I cannot watch when disks disappear. I will assume that disks disappear not in pair, and by turns, but in a short space of time. For additional fault tolerance I use 1 disk in hotspare for array RAID5. It helps to prevent loss of the data at loss of two disks.
cnb
Honored Contributor

Zdravstvuj,

If you can't get Online ACU/ADU to work because the system is crashing then use the offline versions on the SmartStart CD. You can also check the iLO logs for possible clues why the system is crashing.

There are logs in the array controller and idks drives that Array Diagnostic Urtility can access to report where the failure are coming from.

Also try the SmartStart Offline Diagnostics to determine where the system problems might be.

See the TEST command and log:

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00293061/c00293061.pdf

Poka!

Rgds,
pdv_1
Occasional Advisor

Disks have again broken. To the message I put a file with logs and results of tests.

Disks number 2 and number 6 have broken. After reboot I have started testing with SmartStartCD 7.7
I think errors it is not revealed. In iLO log there are no records about fault RAID of the array. The last three records in iml.html have appeared after server reboot. Crash has happened earlier.
Version SmartStartCD 8.4 does not start diagnostics, informs on impossibility to display page.

What it is possible to check up?
It is possible to talk to you in Russian?
pdv_1
Occasional Advisor

Hello CNB!
You speak Russian?