ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753494 Members
5271 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380G5 on UPS R3000 Power manager 4, via serial. UPS cuts outlets when power fails

Jurgen Verhelst
Advisor

DL380G5 on UPS R3000 Power manager 4, via serial. UPS cuts outlets when power fails

Hi,

I just installed a SBS 2008 on a DL380G5 and installed the latest powerware from HP. I setup the plans and dit a sheduled test. De server starts shutting down ok and after a while it shuts down. THen a couple of minutes later the UPS shuts itself down. Good, thats checked I thought. This week the customer told me the server is cut from power each time the net power fails (as that client generates its own power and needs to switch generators over often with a subsequent mini powercut of a couple of seconds, every IT device has a UPS)

I logged in remotely and noticed that windows 2008 is asking me for drivers for the 'PowerWare UPS' but is unable to find them. Shouldn't the HP Power manager installation have installed the drivers?
Why does the UPS cut the power to the server from the moment the net power fails?

We did test the setup with a scheduled shutdown, and the battery stayed online for 35 minutes before it shut down and after booting everything up the power manager indicated that the UPS still had 20% power left. and the battery fail light is not On on the control panel of the UPS...

I did read some posts indicating a manufactoring fault with the serial connector of ML380's.

Anyone experienced this before?

I'm going there tomorrow and connect a normal consumer only like a lamp to the UPS and connect the server directly to net power; then test a powercut with the serial attached and not attached. I'll post back here tomorrow (and hopefullly find someone has shared some info here)

regards,
2 REPLIES 2
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380G5 on UPS R3000 Power manager 4, via serial. UPS cuts outlets when power fails

Jurgen Verhelst
Advisor

Re: DL380G5 on UPS R3000 Power manager 4, via serial. UPS cuts outlets when power fails

Hi Mark1234

You seem to be a busy bee on this forum :)

Seems that post is G6 related...

I'll update the firmware and check if the outlets get power after the cut or if it is the server resetting due to power fluctuation on the UPS take-over moment