ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751720 Members
5849 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380G6 - Position of Temp Sensor 29

KwB99

I noticed your fans are running between 13 & 50%.  What's your ambient temperature

sublimese
Advisor

The inlet temp is a constant 68f.

sublimese
Advisor

Also, it has now been over a year and my fan speeds have not moved at all from what I reported upon placing the WD Red drives into the server. 

shuck
Occasional Visitor

Do we have any information on what specific SMART parameters drive the sensor 29 value?  There are now several large capacity 2.5" hard drives on the market, and I think some of those manufacturers (specifically Seagate) may have a vested interst in fixing this in their own firmware, given the large number of SFF servers in circulation.

I'm trying to work with their tech support to see if they are willing to explore a firmware update.

TonySykes
Occasional Visitor

I have been fighting with this for a bit with a pair of Seagate drives. When the drives are in the temp ramps up and so do the fans, if I use the HP SPP diagnostics it actually shows the disk temps as low 20C and the HP SAS disks as 48-49C. Fans fire up and stay at 78%. You take the Seagate disks out and the system behaves normally again. However the HP SAS disks are still showing the high temperature. I have put in a WD Blue and this did not show the same behaviour with the fans ramping up. Here is a good article on the subject http://dascomputerconsultants.com/HPCompaqServerDrives.htm It would be nice if HP could do something about this as a lot of this kit is being bought for home labs and we just don't have the income to pay the HP disk prices.

sflanders
Visitor

I'm also having good luck with the WD Red 1TB drives.  My fans are sitting at:

13%, 34%, 41%, 41%, 34%, 29%

Dang that made a huge difference to the noise.   Hopefully it will stay that way

cmgj
Occasional Visitor

WD Red's, what are the models/firmware of the 750s or 1TBs used....Thx!

Yes, good info here too: http://dascomputerconsultants.com/HPCompaqServerDrives.htm