Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380G6 with SAS Expander and Drive Cage LED Lights Stuck On

SOLVED
Go to solution
indyjake_1
Occasional Visitor

DL380G6 with SAS Expander and Drive Cage LED Lights Stuck On

We recently purchased a DL380G6 with a drive cage kit and SAS Expander card. The server has a P410i controller. I've installed the new cage, installed the expander card and re-cabled as follows:

1. Unplugged the two SAS cables from the original cage which ran to the embedded P410i controller from the controller and placed these cables into two of the "Drive Backplane" connectors on the SAS expander card. So, one end of each cable is now connected to the original drive cage backplane ports and the other is connected to two of expander card "Drive Backplane" ports.

2. Installed the two SAS cables from the new cage backplane into two other "Drive Backplane" ports on the SAS expander card.

3. Installed two SAS cables from the embedded controller ports on the system board to the "Controller" ports on the SAS expander card.

This all seems to work fine and I can see the drives, create arrays, etc. in ACU, but for some reason, one column of drives in the new cage has the health indicator LED lights stuck on (kind of a light purple color). I can change which column is illuminated by swapping the SAS cables on the back of the new cage. Again, these drives all seem to work well. Does anyone have any ideas on this? TIA.
4 REPLIES
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380G6 with SAS Expander and Drive Cage LED Lights Stuck On

Did you install the latest firmware on the P410i and the expander card? This may be a firmware issue as indicated in the middle of page 7 "Unexpected LED behavior..." of http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5992-3868/5992-3868.pdf

These may be indentity lights that have been turned on. You may have to turn the LEDs off as shown on the same page. Are you runing ACU or SMH and have selected/highlighted these drives?
indyjake_1
Occasional Visitor

Thanks TTr, I've already updated the firmware on both the SAS Expander card and the P410i controller to the latest releases in hopes that would resolve the issue, but it has not.

When I select the drive arrary in ACU there is no noticeable difference in the lights, they remain constantly ON and do not blink or change color regardless of ACU selections or disk activity.
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

I can change which column is illuminated by swapping the SAS cables on the back of the new cage...

Check and reseat all the cables on the SAS expander and the 410i. You may also have a defective cable, the one that goes to the cage.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1373258

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1231200
indyjake_1
Occasional Visitor

Bingo! I had previously swapped out the cables thinking it could have been a bad cable and that didn't fix it. This time, I moved the suspect cable on the SAS expander card from one "Drive backplane" port to another and the problem is now fixed! Thanks for the help.