108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380R01 Not recognizing 2nd Processor - Please help

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Evans_11

DL380R01 Not recognizing 2nd Processor - Please help

Hi
I bought a used DL380R01 Rack Server. The problem is that second processor comes up as disabled when doing diagnostics. The Processors match, both procssors work, both PPM's work, but when I place the second processor in the second slot, it will come up as disabled in the diags. When I boot the server, the second processor comes up as initialized and everthing looks fine, but the diags are like I said. I installed Fedora Core 3 and 4 on the system, and only one processor is recognized. I have searched all over the hardware configuration in SmartStart to try to find a switch to possibly turn on the processor to no avail. Also, I have scoured the Internet for a possible answer again to no avail. Is there some switch on the MB that needs set etc to enable the processor or is it toast?
Thanks for any assistance that anyone can render.
3 REPLIES 3
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

Does the server have the system configuration utility installed (F10 utility)? If so, then press F10 when prompted, at the main menu (after the screen which prompts you to press any key), press ctrl A. You should see a message indicating Advanced Mode has been enabled. Go through the hardware configuration, review or modify, then view and edit details. When it brings the configuration information for the server scroll down about 1/3 of the way down and you should see a section labeled "advanced features".

In this section verify APIC mode is set to "full tabled". There is an option for full table mapped, but this shouldn't be selected, unless there is a problem with full tabled. Save the config and exit. This should allow the second processor to be able to be used everywhere.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Sorry, if you don't have the System Configuration utility installed, then you can download it from:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

You can't do what I've described by booting off the Smart Start cd, so one of these two methods has to be used.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
David Evans_11

Thank you very, very kindly, Terry! It worked. I did not know about the Control-A and APIC feature. Once I enabled those and installed Fedora Core 4 on the first section of the boot sector (to keep the System Partition from getting waxed) everything worked perfectly. Thanks again!