1753381 Members
5649 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380e G8 no disk!!!

JamesSicily
Occasional Advisor

DL380e G8 no disk!!!

I would like to install Debian or Ubuntu but they do not recognize my B329i with 3 SAS disks!!!

Any idea?

11 REPLIES 11
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DL380e G8 no disk!!!

Did you already create a logical drive on the B320i?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
viniciof
Valued Contributor

Hello JamesSicily,

I can guess that the controller is actually a B320i.

This controller does not work with SAS drives untill you add a SAS License; otherwise it just work with SATA drives, yuo can find more info here but that is why it's not recognizing the disks:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliantstorage/arraycontrollers/dynamicsmartarray/index.html

In order to install Ubuntu or Debian; it's possible but without using hardware RAID I mean, there's no driver to use with that controller to sucesfully make linux "see" the Logical Volume.  So you'll need to change controller settings in the BIOS to "Compatible" and install in the bare disks, then if you want raid redundancy, create software raid.  The OS, at least Ubuntu 10.04 and 12.04 are supported to be installed on this sever but just in SATA mode.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/linux/supportmatrix/ubuntu/exceptions/ubuntu-exceptions.html

rgds,
vf

How to Say Thank You? Just click the KUDOS Star! .....
JamesSicily
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

i added SAS license.

But no results...

Giacomo

mo3ph8us
Advisor

HI!

which kind of raid will you build ?

Greetings

Marcus

For a better Understanding ....
mo3ph8us
Advisor

Hi,

please check follow.

Remove the SAS cable from the CTRL and check the issue again.

Please note that you need a 512 MB cache modul to create a RAID 5.

Optional Feature:

Optional SAS Support with SAS License Key and Raid 5 with 512MB FBWC

Greetings

Marcus

JamesSicily
Occasional Advisor

I created a RAID 0 Fault  tolerance...

I can disable RAID, but if i disable it and activate SATA Legacy, i do not see SAS disks under SO istallation....

mo3ph8us
Advisor

Did you have check the cable connection to the Ctrl ?

JamesSicily
Occasional Advisor

Sure, the RAID software shows the 3 SAS disks...

Sbrown
Valued Contributor

that is because it is an LSI2308 hba. 

HP VSA software driver turns it into a software smartarray card. The riser LSI 2308 presents as JBOD which is great for software raid.

Load the driver or use software raid.

If you do not have the LSI2308 riser, then you just have 6 intel rst raid. Which without the driver is Intel ICH/eRST software raid.

If you want a real raid card I suggest the P420/1gb FBWC but don't load the latest firmware because the clocked the cpu down to prevent overheating with 8 drives or less. 

I just apply a better heatsink/thermal paste and the overheating problem doesn't happen in our DL180 G6 (with hp smartcache!) or DL380 G7 servers (you do know that is the only reason why they are unsupported on the G6/G7 right? overheating!)

One option I am going to do for my Z400 workstation is use a heatpipe or water cooling heatsink (unsupported!) otherwise the unit will thermal shutdown in a few minutes and drop the array.

But of course do not ever use unsupported solutions! It is important to follow guidelines and only install the P420 in supported servers otherwise you might overheat the card and kill it. Of course HP Smartcache on a DL180 or Lefthand P4300 G2 is pretty awesome.