ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751735 Members
6223 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380e - replacing 25sff with 8sff + optical (cage, backplane)

fishy007
Advisor

DL380e - replacing 25sff with 8sff + optical (cage, backplane)

HI. I'll try to keep this succinct.

A DL380e server was ordered and installed with a 25sff cage/backplane as shown on page 64 (3rd image) of this PDF: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/14328_na/14328_na.pdf

This was a mistake. We need a maximum of 8 drives AND an optical drive as shown in the 1st image on page 64 of the PDF.

I would like to purchase swap out parts so that we have the configuration we need.  Problem is that I can't seem to find the part numbers. I contact HP 'support' via chat and after 30 minutes on hold, I was told that 'it is not a good idea to do this as it is factory configured'.   I couldn't get anything else out of the rep other than it's not a good idea.

So, to those experienced with parts. IS it a bad idea? If so, why? The server is not in production (yet).

If there should be no problem, where can I find the part numbers to order? 

6 REPLIES 6
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Just a question to clarify....Is it that you need an on-board DVD in the server? Or can you use an external DVD via USB?

Without looking at both servers parts breakout, I would think it would be expensive to:

Replace the server bezel, on/off switch assy, internat drive cages (and possibly power and signal cables).

Regards,

Louis

fishy007
Advisor

We aren't able to attach an external drive in the physical setup. Additionally the need is for a custom piece of software that seems to have trouble accessing the optical drive if connected via USB.

I wouldn't know about the expense since I don't know what part numbers are needed. Either way, I imagine it would be less expensive than buying a new server.
LouisH
Valued Contributor

OK Thanks...will look around...

LouisH
Valued Contributor

Ok,

Checking Service Guide, the only parts I think you would need are:

687959-001   Optical drive cage assy

675601-001  Optical drive module

687958-001   Front Panel assy

either one of these:

652294-001   DVD 8x24 ROM

652295-001   DVD+R/RW

You may need these cable kits:

687954-001   Misc cable kit

687955-001    Power cable kit

After you recv the parts, you would either need to call HP to have them installed, or if you do this then call to have them verify the server operation. Either one is a charge (labor) but is necessary to keep warranty valid.

This is no guarantee that HP will honor your warranty, so best to check with them. You may have to get prior approval (in writing) before-hand.

As far as parts swap...doesn't look hard at all. Remove left-hand 8SFF drive cage, remove far right-hand 4SFF drive cage. Replace right cage with Front panel. replace left cage with Optical Drive cage. On optical drive cage , mount optical drive module and DVD.  The service guide may have additional pictures where cable plug up.

Good luck,

Louis

Disclaimer: I can't guarantee these are the only parts you need (may need screws). These are just the one's I see as needed.

R,

L

fishy007
Advisor

You are awesome. Thank you so much for those part numbers!
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Found out by looking at maintenance guide again, you WILL need the following additional part:

684887-001 This should be the front panel for a server configuration of 8 SFF + 8 SFF.

The 25 SFF disk server has an entirely different front panel and backplane assy and comes as 1 part.

Sorry for the confusion.

Louis