1753600 Members
6592 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380p Gen8 Memory for Virtualization

sabbas
Occasional Contributor

DL380p Gen8 Memory for Virtualization

My DL380p Server came with HP 16GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3-12800R (DDR3-1600) Reg CAS-11 Memory Kit and I populated the server with HP 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3L-10600 (DDR3-1333) Reg CAS-9 LP Memory Kit (647897-B21). Now, my question is; is this a good setup for virtualizing servers? I feel that the memory that I bought is of less speed than what was already there. I bought it because it was listed under compatible memory and description said suitable for virtualizing environment. Could someone please clarify before I start on this project?

Thanking you,
Shereef

1 REPLY 1
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380p Gen8 Memory for Virtualization

Hi,

HP 16GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3-12800R (DDR3-1600) Registered CAS-11 Memory Kit
HP 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3L-10600R (DDR3-1333) Registered CAS-9 Low Voltage Memory Kit

Both the RAM are compatible and can work together but the rules do apply:

Refer to: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03293145

Mixing DIMM speeds in a configuration is allowed. However, the following will apply.
• The system processor speed rules always override the DIMM capabilities.
• When mixing DIMMs of different speeds, the memory system will use the clock rate of the slowest DIMM in the server.
• Both processors will operate at the same memory clock rate.

Rules for DIMM types
• Do not mix UDIMMs, RDIMMs, or LRDIMMs.
• Quad rank RDIMMs are not supported in ProLiant Gen8 servers.
• LRDIMMs are capable of up to three DIMMs per channel.
• RDIMMs operating at either 1.35V or 1.5V may be mixed in any order, but the system will operate at the higher
voltage.
• DIMMs of different speeds may be mixed in any order. The server will select the lowest common speed.

I would say that hardware is compatible for Virtualization, but will recommend to check the Virtualization software/OS for compatibility.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo