1748139 Members
3725 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380p Gen8 Memory for Virtualization

sabbas
Occasional Contributor

DL380p Gen8 Memory for Virtualization

My DL380p Server came with HP 16GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3-12800R (DDR3-1600) Reg CAS-11 Memory Kit and I populated the server with HP 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3L-10600 (DDR3-1333) Reg CAS-9 LP Memory Kit (647897-B21). Now, my question is; is this a good setup for virtualizing servers? I feel that the memory that I bought is of less speed than what was already there. I bought it because it was listed under compatible memory and description said suitable for virtualizing environment. Could someone please clarify before I start on this project?

Thanking you,
Shereef

1 REPLY 1
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380p Gen8 Memory for Virtualization

Hi,

HP 16GB (1x16GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3-12800R (DDR3-1600) Registered CAS-11 Memory Kit
HP 8GB (1x8GB) Dual Rank x4 PC3L-10600R (DDR3-1333) Registered CAS-9 Low Voltage Memory Kit

Both the RAM are compatible and can work together but the rules do apply:

Refer to: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03293145

Mixing DIMM speeds in a configuration is allowed. However, the following will apply.
• The system processor speed rules always override the DIMM capabilities.
• When mixing DIMMs of different speeds, the memory system will use the clock rate of the slowest DIMM in the server.
• Both processors will operate at the same memory clock rate.

Rules for DIMM types
• Do not mix UDIMMs, RDIMMs, or LRDIMMs.
• Quad rank RDIMMs are not supported in ProLiant Gen8 servers.
• LRDIMMs are capable of up to three DIMMs per channel.
• RDIMMs operating at either 1.35V or 1.5V may be mixed in any order, but the system will operate at the higher
voltage.
• DIMMs of different speeds may be mixed in any order. The server will select the lowest common speed.

I would say that hardware is compatible for Virtualization, but will recommend to check the Virtualization software/OS for compatibility.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo