New Discussion

DL380p Gen8 how many PCI buses?

SOLVED
Go to solution
EricJL
Occasional Visitor

DL380p Gen8 how many PCI buses?

Hi,

I was wondering how many PCI buses the Proliant Dl380p Gen8 server has. I know that to use the second riser card you have to have a second CPU and because of that I am wondering if add in cards in slots 1,2, and 3 will be on PCI bus 0 and cards in slots 4, 5, and 6 will be on PCI bus 1. The DL370 G6 had two PCI buses and that caused some problems for me because the software for that card can only work if the card is on PCI bus 0 (forcing me to find a PCIe slot by trial and error that was connected to bus 0). I liked using the G6 and G7 DL380 server because both risers were on bus 0, you could get a PCI-X riser, and you didn't need a second CPU. 

Any help is appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Arnaud Delaloy
Valued Contributor

Re: DL380p Gen8 how many PCI buses?

Hello,

each CPU has 40PCIe Gen3 segments, , and there was a good post some time ago about how they are used and where they are connected to ,  mainly on Blades, where its specifies the dl360p Gen8  is different :

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-BladeSystem-Server-Blades/BL460-Gen8-BL420-Gen8-Mezz2-needs-a-second-CPU-installed-in/m-p/5868725

EricJL
Occasional Visitor

That is good info, but it doesn't say how many root bus devices the system will have. I would guess one if you have one processor and two if you have two processors as the PCIe controller is now integrated into the CPU. Still though, I would like to know before I buy.

EricJL
Occasional Visitor
Solution

Well in case anyone wants to know, a single cpu server has one root bus and a dual cpu server has two root buses. Also, do not stick a 1x PCIe video card in slot 3 or the server will not finish posting. It will get to the step "configuring pci devices" and then reset. 

Single CPU DL380p G8:

Root Bus: ACPI\PNP0A08\0
Bus Number Range: [0, 1f]

Dual CPU DL380p G8:

Root Bus: ACPI\PNP0A08\0
Bus Number Range: [0, 1f]

Root Bus: ACPI\PNP0A08\1
Bus Number Range: [20, 3f]