ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753767 Members
5702 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380p Proliant Intelligent Provisioning Failure

DL380p Proliant Intelligent Provisioning Failure

Hi,

I'm trying to use Intelligent provisioning to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. The installation went forward and almost completed. When it was near the end of the command line input in the windows setup environment, the installation failed and was cancelled. The message given was as follows:

"Windows could not apply unattend settings during pass [offlineServicing]."

This is the first attempt to install this operating system. Can anyone please help me troubleshoot this error?

Thank you,

Preston

13 REPLIES 13

I have done some reading and have found out that it's possible that this error is caused by the file version listed in the unattend xml not matching up with the file version of setup.exe in the Windows ISO. After trying again and seeing the same error, I compared the two versions. The autounattend.xml file lists version "6.3.9600.16408" and the version of setup.exe in the Windows ISO is version "6.3.9600.16384."

Does anyone have a way to get around this error? My next attempt to get Windows onto this machine will be to install it from a physical disk and run SPP.exe after install.

Thank you for any help you can give,

Preston

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You might try updating Intelligent Provisioning. To get the system up and running, I'd probably just boot the Windows media, and load the SPP after installation is complete.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 

Good point. Thank you for the response.
jjames75

Getting the same error message. Tried to update the Intelligent Provisioning but there is no new update for DL360 G8 server 2012 R2. What is the next step?

Matt Teichrob
Occasional Advisor

I am also trying to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard on a new HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 using Intelligent Provisioning.

Although our current publishing method for HP-provided drivers and related software is now the HP Service Pack for ProLiant (HP SPP) or HP Intelligent Provisioning (IP), HP SPP and HP IP will not be available for use with Windows Server 2012 R2 until early 2014. Until then, use the Windows Server 2012 R2 Supplement Release for Service Pack for ProLiant.

Reference: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf

HP Tech support tells me that that an Intelligent Provisioning update will be released in February, 2014. But I can't wait that long to deploy this server.

According to this HP White Paper (and according to HP tech support) you need to:

1. Create any required RAID volumes via the ACU on boot.
  2. Install Windows 2012 R2 directly from the media. Note that you may be prompted for disk array drivers during installation. You can find these on the HP site.
  3. Boot to Windows and install this special service pack:

Windows Server 2012 R2 Supplement Release for Service Pack for ProLiant: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/supportpack-generic/p1235385378/v89111

This support pack will install other missing drivers and utility on the server.

The HP support rep also gave these instructions:

[A] Please copy MSw2k12r2-rtmsupplement-2013.09.0.B.win.exe file to a new folder and then run this .exe file and it will extract all its content to same folder.

[B] Install SNMP service, by referring below steps.

1. Open Windows Server Manager > Features> Add Features & choose SNMP Service and install same.
  2. OR
  3. You also use below given command to install SNMP Service: Start /w OCSETUP SNMP

[C] Run hpsum.exe file from extracted content of supplement pack and refer to attached document for further installation steps.

Caudette
Occasional Advisor

miike
Visitor

Version 1.60 is available through Intellegent Provisioning (if you select the "Maintainence" option and are connected to the internet). Unfortunately i got a strange error code with a red X...  An exiting restart awaits!

miike
Visitor

Intellegent Provisioning v1.60 is avaialble, and contains enough HP drivers to load the 2012R2 OS onto a RAID5 array using a USB thumbdrive.

1)Download Intellegent Provisioning v1.60 to your laptop, download and install the HP Bootable USB utility to your laptop and create a bootable USB with the IPv1.60 iso.

2)Insert the bootable USB key into the the server and it should boot to the IP v1.60 install software. Restart when instructed, then insert the USB thumbdrive containing  the  Win2012R2x64 iso.

3)Reboot the server and select F10 for Intellegent Provisioning. One of the choices available will now be "R2". Follow instructions.

I hope this helps save someone the 8+ hours I wasted trying to work this out...

Paul_370

I downloaded and updated the intelliegent provisioning V1.60 - across the internet never completed even when left for some hours. It is over 1GB though. DVD ISO update. Worked 1st time.