4633 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380p g8 with p420i RAID controller

volc
Occasional Visitor

DL380p g8 with p420i RAID controller

Dear all,

Currently we have a Esxi 5.5 host with local SAS disks. I would like to add 2 disks and expand the (only one) volume.

I did some research and found out this is possible using hpssacli via SSH etc. This program was preinstalled because we used the HP ESX Iso for installing.

My question is:

Our RAID10 will be expanded with 2 SAS disks. I can do this via the CLI but will my RAID be available during the expansion?

I added 2 images wich CLI output for reference.

Maybe you can also help me with the correct command line?

With kind regards,

Rick van der Boor

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage>General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

4 REPLIES 4
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: DL380p g8 with p420i RAID controller

Since it is a Gen8, why not using SAA (ACU) GUI within intelligent provisioning (press F10 during boot) or just boot from SPP media.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
volc
Occasional Visitor

Hi Torsten,

Many thanks for your response. The point would be that i could perform the expand on a live ESX system, that was my question.

Regards Rick

waaronb
Respected Contributor

If doing it via the CLI is the same as using the GUI program, then it should work fine. It will do an online expansion, so you won't have to take the system down while that's happening.

The first step is adding the 2 new drives to the array, and then you can expand the logical volume using the new space.

Once that's done, you still need to use whatever process on the operating system (I don't know much about ESX) to expand the partition to use the new space, so you might want to check the documentation on that if you're not familiar with it. I just know that with Windows it's as easy as selecting the partition and expanding into the extra space available.
volc
Occasional Visitor

Hi Waaronb,

Many thanks for your response. I was able to ad the drives and expand the array via hpsscli. ESXi 5.5 was also able (without downtime) to increase it's datastore.

Regards,

Rick