New Discussion

Re: DL380p gen8 ILO4 firmware loading issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
dasbrow
Occasional Visitor

DL380p gen8 ILO4 firmware loading issue

I have tried to update both my bios and ilo 4 firmware and get 

"checking Secure Digital Signature, please wait ... " under administration->Firmware

I have tried updating via Linux cli, via the ilo web gui and have just tried via an older SPP ISO.  Pulled power and let it sit to clear the checking secure digital signature message. Tried again just to fail.

Currrent version of Ilo4 is 1.40, bios is from 2013

I can't seem to get this too work. Is there a way to force the bios updated with out using ILO, as it seems to me that even the sexec file pushes the bios update via ILO. 

we have 3 of these servers. only one having the issue. 

2 REPLIES 2
AmRa
HPE Pro

Hi

Please find the steps to update System ROM –BIOS and iLO 4 Firmware through iLO web console.

1. Update System ROM –BIOS firmware.
Type: BIOS (Entitlement Required) - System ROM
Version: 2019.05.24(12 Jun 2019)

Installation:
To update System ROM BIOS Firmware through iLO Web UI:
1. Download cp040096.exe (2.3 MB) from below link.
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_1bdec773834044b6825d2ff850#tab1
2. Run cp040096.exe and select extract option.
3. Once cp040096.exe file extracted, copy cp040096 folder and place in system from where iLO is accessible.
4. Using a Web Browser, proceed to the iLO Web UI using the iLO IP Address.
5. Navigate to Administration  Firmware.
6. Choose “Select Update Firmware”.
7. Select Browse at Local Binary File.
8. Select the Firmware file (CPQP7013.6B8) to be flashed.
9. Select the Flash to begin update process and wait for the firmware flash complete message to display.
10. Reboot the system.

2. Update iLO firmware.
Type: Firmware - Lights-Out Management
Version: 2.70(14 May 2019)

Installation:
To update iLO 4 Firmware through iLO Web UI:
1. Download cp038075.exe (13 MB) from below link.
https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_f13420b102cb4101ab1befc470#tab1
2. Run cp038075.exe and select extract option.
3. Once cp038075.exe file extracted, copy cp038075 folder and place in system from where iLO is accessible.
4. Using a Web Browser, proceed to the iLO Web UI using the iLO IP Address.
5. Navigate to Administration  Firmware.
6. Choose “Select Update Firmware”.
7. Select Browse at Local Binary File.
8. Select the Firmware file (ilo4_270.bin) to be flashed.
9. Select the Flash to begin update process and wait for the firmware flash complete message to display.
10. Reboot the system.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
dasbrow
Occasional Visitor
Solution

The reply provided by HPE support was no helpful at all. My OP had explained that I had tried to install all firmwares in a few different manners. Besides that the reply indicates that my post was not and did not address the issue.

Regardless I have solved the issue. For any future uses:

Check out this post: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/ProLiant-DL360e-Gen8-NAND-Error/m-p/7041044/highlight/true#M166203

The --direct option is what solved the issue as it forces the firmware to be directly written to the NOR chip. 

Note: I was lucky enough to have a friend that had the latest SPP USB for gen8's. It had ILO 2.55 on it.

Go to 

mnt/cdrom/hp/swpackages

ls -lh

The above will show you a list of files, the file around 13MB is the ILO 2.55 file, use that name with the command in the above link.

I have not tried this on an installed OS. We run debian and can now flash to the current 2.70 version of ILO 4 software. 

Hope this helps others. Replacing a board does not seem like a good solution, this cost me two days of searching.