1752664 Members
5534 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380p gen8 video card

pizzasly
Occasional Advisor

DL380p gen8 video card

Hello, does anyone know if it's possible to add an Nvidia Quadro 6000 to a DL380p gen8?  I know I would need one of the additional risers (not sure which one), the additional power cable, and 2 cpu configuration.  My question is which riser should I choose and where does the power cable connect to exactly?  I can't tell from the pictures where the power connections are, and I don't see any on the motherboard.  I am guessing it connects to the the standard primary riser (which the card doesn't fit into).  Is this correct?

2 REPLIES 2
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380p gen8 video card

Looking at the Server User Guide that is downloadable in the standard location, the 16x PCIe slot is the top-most slot in the standard riser. That obviously makes double-wide GPUs like Quadro 6000 not fit.

I could not find a picture of the 2-slot riser, but looking at the system board components diagram, the orientation of the second riser slot is the same as the first one. The extra 3-slot riser looks like it would be essentially another copy of the standard riser. So by the process of elimination, the 2-slot riser is probably the only option that might fit the Quadro 6000 GPU.

One end of the 150W PCIe power cable plugs into the riser (with a non-standard power connector that is pointed towards the front end of the riser), another to the card itself. See page 92 of the Server User Guide. The cable would seem to connect to the same riser that contains the card that needs extra power.

You'll need the second CPU if you install the second riser in addition to the standard one, but if you *replace* the standard riser with the 2-slot riser, you might be able to run with only one CPU.

MK
pizzasly
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380p gen8 video card

Thank you for the reply! It seems, from my reading, the DL380p gen8 model supports up to 150w power output on the riser but the Quadro 6000 lists the maximum power consumption at 204w. I may have to go with the DL380e and the 2 slot expansion riser which says supports 225w. Cheers