ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G1 - Replaced scsi backplane, lost array configuration?

james capobianco_1
Occasional Advisor

DL385 G1 - Replaced scsi backplane, lost array configuration?

Hi,

A fellow tech just replaced a SCSI backplane on a dl385G1. When booting, it informs him that the array is no longer configured. Drives are connected to a 6400 controller in a pci slot. I've told him to make sure the cables are in their previous positions, also to try the old part again as well. Just want to see if anyone has any thoughts? Of course this is one of our higher priority boxes, so we need to get it back up tonight. He'll also be calling tech support, just wanted to see if anyone here has any ideas as well.

Thanks,

Jim
6 REPLIES
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: DL385 G1 - Replaced scsi backplane, lost array configuration?

Hi,

The server have two backplanes SAS backplane, 8 bay spare number 392610-001 and SCSI backplane, 6 bay spare 359253-001, did you replaced it right? Remember they have SCSI and SAS models.
Cabling fine? (page 50)
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00291791/c00291791.pdf
Can Post see the controller fine? What about the HDD, can post or the controller ROM (ORCA) see them?
james capobianco_1
Occasional Advisor

Just an update - it did not loose the logicals totally, just reporting a failed drive (disk 2, id 4). This box is built with 2 arrays - a mirror for the OS, the other four drives in a raid 5. ADU reports that both logical drives have failed - is this box lost??
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Please attach ADU
james capobianco_1
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately I am not on-site right now, also the ADU is being ran via SmartStart CD.

The scsi backplane is replaced, we do not have any SAS 385g1s in our environment.
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

OK,

Mmmm, One failed HDD and you lost the logical drives? really odd. When you have the time Run and save the ADU so we can actually check for codes and actions in the storage subsystem.

Regards
james capobianco_1
Occasional Advisor

I was finally able to login via rib and check it out. When going into the array configuration (f8 during boot) - it's reporting both logical drives are failed. Drive 1 - replacement Drive 4 - MISSING. Drive is clearly there. Both drives were replaced last week when we got alerts about the drives.. these were brand new 300GB retail drives taken from our stock. I was incorrect about the raid configuration - it's all a raid 5.