cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G1 Windows 2008 x64 - Fans Running Full Speed

Steve O'Hara
Occasional Contributor

DL385 G1 Windows 2008 x64 - Fans Running Full Speed

I've got a DL385 G1 server to use for a new project that we've upgraded to contain 6 disks, 2 Opteron CPUs and 16g of RAM.

It runs perfectly except that the fans are running seemingly at full speed. The noise is quite incredible - we only have older Proliant servers to compare it with that are quiet in comparison with the fans only going to full speed at startup, so we're thinking there is something wrong somewhere.

The HP Hompage reports no issues with any hardware and unplugging RAM and hard disks makes no difference.

Is there somewhere I can view the fan speeds and control them? I don't see anything in the Homepage or in the RBSU.

It has exhibited this behaviour even before we actually installed an operating system on it.

Is there perhaps some sort of service I should be running in Windows 2k8 x64 to manage the fans?

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Steve
7 REPLIES
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL385 G1 Windows 2008 x64 - Fans Running Full Speed

Hi Steve,

The fan speeds are controlled by the room temperature.

If you are sure the operating temperature is normal, either of the below needs to be done.

1. The FW of the system is low
2. There is a chance of a hardware fault, as the sensors are reporting the temperature wrongly.
AndyHickman
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Is the latest PSP installed on the server for W2K8 64 bit?

The drivers that are loaded when the OS starts help to control the fan noise.

Else it could be a faulty temp sensor on the motherboard or such like (system board fault).

Normally the noise will die down during POST, so you could have a hardware fault here.
Steve O'Hara
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your speedy responses.

I've checked and can confirm that the latest PSP (8.3) is installed and that the temperature sensors are all reading relatively low values (max temp is CPU board at 40 degrees).
The fans show as fully functional and are displayed as running at "normal" speed.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is FW?

I'm starting to wonder whether this level of noise is normal for a DL385? It's VERY noisy and there isn't any change after you power up. My experience with other Proliant systems is that there is an initial surge during startup but that drops out after about 10 seconds. I don't get that with this machine which is what makes me think there is something wrong.

Thanks,
Steve
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

>>What is FW?
FW refers to Firmware. The Firmwae is the read only memory which manages the system FW.

You may log a case with HP for the noise issue, if you feel it is abnormal.
Arjen Korevaar
Occasional Visitor

Hi Steve,

I have the same problem with the fans of a DL385 G1 running at full speed. At first I thought this had something to do with the hpasm tools not loaded correctly on Linux and VMWare systems, as this was the problem previously on other ProLiant systems.

After reading this thread, I think it may indeed have something to do with BIOS settings or faulty temp sensors.

Have you solved this issue?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Regards,
Arjen

My DL385 G1 fans run at full speed on ESXi 4.0, as well.
Steve O'Hara
Occasional Contributor

Further to my previous posts;

I have subsequently seen another DL385 in operation with a couple less fans and to be honest, the noise level seemed similar to my own machine.

My conclusion is that this level of ear battering is actually "normal" for these machines! I'm not too bothered because it's going into a data centre so I won't have to put up with it, thankfully.

Hope this helps,

Steve