1753325 Members
5061 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

DL385 G2 405478-071 Memory Issues

Jake Mason
Advisor

DL385 G2 405478-071 Memory Issues

I am testing some 405478-071 8Gb memory DIMM's inside of a known working DL385 G2 box. When I have all 8 DIMM banks filled up, I get a couple of the DIMM's with correctable errors but if I take those 2 DIMMs and put them in slots 1 and 2, no errors show up. Any ideas?
1 REPLY 1
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Re: DL385 G2 405478-071 Memory Issues

Jake-
Are all of the Dimms the same capacity? If they are, check the sub #'s on all of them. There have been issues on some AMD systems with mixing similar DIMMS from different manufacturers (Hynix, Samsung, etc.)
Let me know what you find.
You may have a different issue -exceeding memory capacity for the system. But that should not change when you move the DIMMS...
See below from the quickspecs:
Standard Memory
2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 DIMMs (667 MHz) installed (2 x 1 GB)

Upgrading Memory and Memory Interleaving
DIMMs must be installed in identical pairs. Bank interleaving is automatically enabled on a processor node under the following conditions:
1) Four single ranked DIMMs populated per node (4 x 512 MB or 4 x 1 GB for example) yields 2-way bank interleaving.
2) Two dual ranked DIMMs populated per node (2 x 2 GB or 2 x 4 GB for example) yields 2-way bank interleaving.
3) Four dual ranked DIMMs populated per node (4 x 2 GB for example) yields 4-way bank interleaving.
If single and dual ranked DIMMs are mixed on the same node, bank interleaving will not be enabled.

Node interleaving can be configured via RBSU if both processors have the same memory footprint and it is independent of bank interleaving.

DIMMs must be installed in decreasing capacity with the largest DIMMs installed in the banks furthest away from each processor.

Standard Memory Plus Optional Memory
Up to 26 GB memory is available with the standard memory of 1GB and the optional installation of PC2-5300 DDR2 DIMMs (667 MHz) memory kits. - 6 slots would be available, and potentially could be filled with 4GB DIMMs.

Standard Memory Replaced with Optional Memory
Up to 32 GB of memory is available with the removal of the standard 1GB of memory and the optional installation of PC2-5300 DDR2 4 GB DIMMs (667 MHz) memory kits.