1752643 Members
5669 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL385 G2 - ASR - NetFN 0x36, command 0x2 timed out

GoritZ
Occasional Advisor

DL385 G2 - ASR - NetFN 0x36, command 0x2 timed out

i have spent a hell of a lot of time working on an ASR issue with a DL585. The ASR has gone on since the Server was installed (2007)and no one noticed..Very strange.

Anyway the server eventually alerted with an uncorrectable memory error on a batch of dimms. Resolving this was a challenge with our vendor but eventually we got it fixed by replacing the mem/cpu cartridge and 21 blown dimms...yes 21. However During the fix we picked up on the ASR reboots.

Advice from our Vendor to resolve the ASR reboots was to upgrade BIOS from System ROM 2008.09.27 to 2009.05.07, Softpaq and so on. My message to you is think carefully before doing so. Whilst an upgrade sounds good it can also introduce bugs. We upgraded the BIOS to the latest spring 2009 and all of a sudden the Server only had half its memory. Backed out and it was back to normal. Odd thing is I have just checked the server and during the course of the earlier repair we reset the BIOS to defaults. This in trun has set the BIOS to the default which is the spring 2009 version and all the RAM is present..this is unexpected behaviour. The Softpaq upgrade to version 8.20 had no effect on the ASR either. in fact I am considering a downgrade back to 8.15. The main reason is the ASR reboots.

After trawling through the web It looks like there maybe issues with the integration of the HP NULL IPMI Controller Driver version 1.0.0.0 and version 8.20 of the Softpaq. There is a very informative thread on this site if you search for the netfn error in the title which goes someway to explain it.
Also worth doing is disabling the ASR option in the BIOS and or the management page. This is not ideal as auto reboots wont occur. However it does get you out of deep water with a production server...

I am still working through the issue and will update this thread if I find a solution.
6 REPLIES 6
GoritZ
Occasional Advisor

Small typo..DL585 G2 not DL385 G2. Doh!
GoritZ
Occasional Advisor

downgraded as per the following: to resolve both ntfn and hpilo2 duplicate indices errors. Will see how it goes over the next day or so..

3 Modules must downgrade until next release of new Patches from HP

HP ProLiant iLO 2 Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003
to Version 1.8.0.0 from Version 1.11.0.0

HP System Management Homepage for Windows
to Version 2.1.15.210 from Version 3.0.0.64

HP Insight Management Agents for Windows Server 2003/2008
to Version 8.15.0.0 from Version 8.22.0.0
MattLavallee2
Frequent Advisor

The only downgrade you need is the iLO driver to version 1.80. Search this forum for ASR and iLO and you should find a few of my posts pointing to it. We still haven't seen a resolution in the drivers (since March).

The rest of the upgrades are OK to perform. You definitely want the new SMH and VCA, as they're much more friendly.

-Matt
GoritZ
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

So far the Server in question has been stable so I will leave as is for now. But i do agree with your comments especially the SMH upgrade which is much easier to navigate.

cheers
bbelle
Occasional Advisor

i have a dl360 G5 that is at agent level v8.2 with ilo2 driver v1.80. I just experienced an ASR with the "NetFN 0x36, command 0x2 timed out" events in the system log. anyone else getting this problem?
Bob Curnock
Frequent Advisor

Been getting this issue - tried the firmware/driver updates to no avail - replaced systemboard and it went away