cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G2 - All configured memory not available

cgabbadon
Occasional Visitor

DL385 G2 - All configured memory not available

I recently upgraded two HP DL385 G2 servers with a memory upgrade. Both originally had 4GB memory (4x1GB modules) and I added 4x4GB more memory in each server.

The first server installed the memory fine. The second server could not see all of the new memory. When booting up, the system says 20GB RAM Configured, but only 12GB Available/Initialized. I took out the 4x1GB memory modules in this server, and for some reason, only half of the new 16GB is usable by the system, even though it appears to be recognized at startup.

Also as an experiment, I tried to install a single pair of 4GB memory modules to see if any of memory was defective. No matter what combination of a single pair of 4GB memory modules I install in that server, only half of it is recognized (4GB Initialized/Available/Usable and 8GB Configured).

Does anyone have any suggestions? What exactly does the system mean at startup that the memory is configured, but not available/initialized?

Any help/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL385 G2 - All configured memory not available

Does the system in question have two processors? A few memory rules for this system

DIMMs must be installed in decreasing capacity with the largest DIMMs installed in the banks furthest away from each processor

DIMM banks are active only when the corresponding processor socket is populated.

Taken from the QuickSpec
Memory Slot
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

20GB 4GB 4GB 1GB 1GB 4GB 4GB 1GB 1GB

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
cgabbadon
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your response Jimmy. Two processors are installed in each server, and I installed the memory with the largest DIMMs on the outside. So the memory is configured just as it is in your diagram (the 4GB pairs are furthest from each processor on its side).
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It's been to long since I've looked at one of those units. I don't remember if memory mirroring was an option.

One suggestion would be to go into the advanced options of RBSU and reset System ROM to factory defaults.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Please check whether Mirroring memory mode is configured on the server. If yes, please go the "RBSU --> AMP mode" and we can change it according to our usuage.

Regards,
Ajay
cgabbadon
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for your feedback. I went into the RBSU and I did not see any options for AMP to configure memory mirroring. I also reset the ROM to factory defaults, and although it went through the memory detection process again, it still only saw 12GB available as before (despite 20GB configured).

Could it just be the memory is bad or could it be something else?

Thanks much again,
Craig
THAKUR
Frequent Advisor

I have attached the image where you can find out the option to configure AMP (Mirroring Mode).

Inside RBSU -> System Option -> Advanced Memory Protection.

Then select the mirroring mode.