cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G2 Video

Roy Ortiz
Occasional Visitor

DL385 G2 Video

I am trying to use an ATI Radeon 1300 Pro in a DL385 G2.
The board works in a Tyan server with Win2003 OS. In the HP no video comes out of the Radeon card. Viewing through the onboard video, the bios shows it is recognized and that it has resources allocated to it. In Win2003 the board shows up in the hardware list, but has a warning that there are not enough resources available for the Radeon video card. I tried to disable as many things in the bios and in Win2003 to free up some resorces, but the Radeon video card still gives me the same error. I have monitors connected to both onboard and Radeon card at startup, but the Radeon will not show anything. With a monitor only connected to the Radeon nothing shows up. I talk to HP tech support and they said they do not support it. It seems to me it is a BIOS issue. I disabled the iLO, but that did not change anything Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: DL385 G2 Video

DL385 G2 is a rack-installable server, intended to be used primarily over the network with no local display at all.

If you need a dual-display workstation, I think a Proliant DL series machine is simply a wrong tool for the job. It's a good piece of hardware, but it just does not fit your task.

What exactly would you need the server to do?
MK
Roy Ortiz
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL385 G2 Video

We run a graphical industrial control software on windows with MS SQL. We like servers because our systems run 24/7 and typical will run for 10~20 years. Lots of data archiving federal regulations in our industry too. Since it is mainly machine to machine data collection and storage, servers work well for us. We usually do not have a problem running video cards on servers. We prefer HP, but are forced to go to other vendors when HP does not work. It appears to be a BIOS allocation issue. Hp is not inclined to fix these types of problem anymore. Workstation are fine also, but IT departments want rackmount server to be compatable with their other units. We use a remote KVM to get back to our equipment.