cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G2 blue-screening regularly

Peter Stockschlaeder
Occasional Visitor

DL385 G2 blue-screening regularly

This seems to be a repetive issue for me and I really am at my wits end here...

I have a DL385 G2, running Server 2003 with SP2, SQL 2K with SP4, and MOM 2005 SP1.

I've been getting a lot of BSODs with the following stop codes:

0x0000009C (0x00000000, 0xF77352B0, 0xF64C4000, 0x00000135); or
0x0000009C (0x00000000, 0xF77352B0, 0xF64C4000, 0x00000145); or
0x0000009C (0x00000000, 0xF77352B0, 0xB24C4000, 0x00000175)

What's weird is that I was getting these almost weekly in July/early August, then for some inexplicable reason they have come back again in the past couple weeks; I got two about 3 weeks ago and another today. When I submit the bugcheck info to MS they just say "no idea," and that it's probably a harware problem. Needless to say, I'm a bit stumped, all the diagnostics do not indicate any problems hardware-wise.

I don't think this is related the sysport.sys issue posted on another part of HP.com, I have a different version of the file. Any thoughts?
9 REPLIES
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL385 G2 blue-screening regularly

Hello, why don't you open a Case in HP? They have some tools that can examine such problems.

As I see you are a german-speaking customer :)

Which Proliant Support Pack version do you have? Can you post the IML logs?

Regards,
Peter Stockschlaeder
Occasional Visitor

Yeah, 6 years of German in New Jersey actually. ;-)

Lack of sleep lately neglected me to throw the following detail in. I actually had opened a case with HP back in July, their suggestion was to update the ROM to latest version. Well I did that and it did not seem to do anything, but then these BSODs disappered after another couple of weeks.

Yeah I know I need to either open a new case with them or get the old one re-opened, I'm working on that too, just trying to work this from multiple angles at once, you know.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

yes which proliant support pack?
and also firmware?

also is there something in Event viewer?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Peter Turek
Frequent Advisor

The Stop Error seems to related to hardware and is explained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162363

If this is the case, I would suspect memory as a possible culprit first as hardware errors are very rare on servers (ok, other than power supply and HDD) and about the only type I've personally come across are memory. CPU errors are rare and usually severe and the HP insight agents or onboard diagnostics will catch those and warn you with LEDs or just disable the processor, etc.

HP (Smartstart CD) tools and MS (http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top) have tools that can extensively test RAM for errors.

I'd start with a RAM test or maybe swap out the RAM (or at least reseat it) if you have extra.

Good luck.
Peter Stockschlaeder
Occasional Visitor

Karlo: I am running, I think, v. 7.7.0. of support packs. BIOS is A09. Event Viewer really doesn't give me a clue, it just says that "unexpected shutdown occurred."

Peter Turek: When I had my original case open they did have me run full diagnostics and send the logs to them. I think their advice to run the BIOS upgrade was because they were as befuddled as I am. :-(

I did consider the memory issue in fact. Since this runs MOM and SQL on the same box I regularly see RAM pegged around 1.6-1.7 GB (there is 2 GB on system) and when I was getting regular BSODS a while ago I was in fact rebooting gracefully usually on Friday nights. Of course, on the other hand, the numbers were still the same during the period that I did NOT have problems, sooo...

Thanks for the suggestions also. The only problem is that this is my primary (read: only) monitoring system and it's also at our offsite production data center, so this is really not an option for me unless the right circumstances arise. But I will keep it in mind.
binoyskylark
Frequent Advisor

hi its seems video memory issue , so change your mother board and try

GudLUck
Binoy
Binoy.p.p
HP AIS Blade system Integration
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

i think it not that easy "video memory issue" and replace SB.

I think the issue needs to be drill down.
I mean can be processor, memory module, SB.

you ca try updating PSP.
test memory, swap memories, minimum configuration. it is a little difficult because the BSOD are random

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

what you can do is :

Use Firmware Maintainenace CD 7.9. to update Firmware of all components first.
Then install PSP 7.9. Disable TOE & RSS from Network Configuration Utility. So you can resolve problems with old HP drivers.

When did the bluescreen occur? At different times or at startup/shutdown?

Do you have a memory dump to check which driver is causing the problem?

Before replacing any parts you can run the offline diagnostic from SmartStart 7.9. and check with minimum 10 loops if there are problems with the RAM/CPU/controller cache.
If you open a case at HP they will tell you the same first troubleshooting steps...
I don't fully agree that you will resolve bluescreen problems with a sysboard replacement...

Regards,
Pac

Simon Curtiss
Occasional Visitor

I have had the same error message - well nearly : 0x0000009c (0x00000000, 0xf77352b0, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This is on a DL380 G3 running W2K3 SP2 with SSP 7.91 - it's happened a couple of times now. I updated the SSP after the first two which came in swift succession. That seemed to fixit for a while but it's back today. All firmware is up to date. The crash dump analysis from Microsoft say crash due to Hardware fault. I would guess it's right but tracking it down is going to be fun. Time for this server to migrate to virtual I think.