Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G5 - Failed Logical Drive on Reboot

Kevin Cummins
Occasional Visitor

DL385 G5 - Failed Logical Drive on Reboot

Hello.

I am trying to setup a 2TB Western Digital hard drive in the last empty slot of my DL385 G5 server.
I insert the drive, and set up the array and logical drive using the HP Array configuration utility, and it seems to work. I am able to format the drive under Windows Server 2008 and assign a drive letter.
The problems begin when I try to run Symantec Backup Exec to backup files to the hard drive. Sometimes it cannot access the drive.
Also, when the server is rebooted, the logical drive automatically enters a failed state. I have to manually re-create the logical drive.

I thought it might be a hard disk error, but I have an identical server with the same setup, and it is experiencing the same issues, except this server does not allow me to re-create the logical drive.

What am i doing wrong?
(We would like to be able to swap out these hard drives when they are full.)
7 REPLIES
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: DL385 G5 - Failed Logical Drive on Reboot

Do you have latest firmware and drives on disk, smartarray?
Kevin Cummins
Occasional Visitor

Yes.
I have updated all firmware anad software.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hmm, what says exactly Controller after reboot? Failed one drive? Raid destroyed?

Jan
Kevin Cummins
Occasional Visitor

"Logical drive 4 (Raid 0 in Array C) has failed and cannot be used. All data on this logical drive has been lost. Configuration changes to this logical drive are not allowed until this problem is corrected. also, if your controller supports Expansion, Extension, or migration, these..."
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Kevin,
I've checked quickspecs for your server:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13012_div/13012_div.HTML
There are mentioned SmartArray controller E200 and P400 models.
But you can add another model as option. Which one do you have?

What is stranger - there are only SATA SFF drives mentioned and supported (max size 500GB). Could you provide how did you connect 2TB WD drives to this server? External box connexted to external ports of extra raid controller?
Now I am little bit lost in your config.
jan
Kevin Cummins
Occasional Visitor

It has the P400 Smart Array Controller.
The server is a DL385 G5p.

We are trying to use a generic LFF SATA 2TB hard drive. (Samsung)

We can create the array, but when we try to save Backup exec jobs to it, the drive enters into a failed state.

Sometimes we can just re-create the array, but other times, we have to physically pull the drive and re-insert it or reboot the server for it to be reconginzed by the HP array configuration utility.
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello Kevin,
your config changes each post...
OK, in your current config there is possibility to use LLF 2TB drives.
Your current drives (generic Samsung, before WD) are not from HP? Probably there is kind of check from HP if are drives HP branded, but I do not know - never tried. What drives were there before you put 2TB's ?

Jan