108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL385 G5P hangs on restart

SOLVED
Go to solution
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

DL385 G5P hangs on restart

Has anyone experienced a hang problem with W2K3 32 or 64 bit on a DL385 G5P server when a start\shutdown\restart is issued. The console screen is black with no verbiage. There is no bugcheck. The servers then need to be manually powered off\on. The Windows system log shows event 6006 (log shutdown) as the last message after the restart request. Have updated the HP management software, drivers, firmware and bios to the latest. The hang(s) are random. Any\all ideas welcome. Thx.
37 REPLIES 37
Mark Welte
Occasional Visitor

I had the same issue last week. Installed Server 2008 x64 w SP2. Came back to a hung server. No error lights, etc. Server restarted and never came back up. Performing a reinstall to see if I can duplicate error. This will be a production server so I am not real enthused to have this issue.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

The problem may be fixed fixed. Using HP Support and Drivers downloads for the 385 g5P I updated the bios, firmware (cd) and software (cd). There were however a few more updates that I found by running the psp (software support pack) from Support and Drivers. One update was firmware for the P400 controller, which I had already upgraded to version 5.26. However, there is now a 6.86 version. I updated all 4 of my servers and ran numerous start\shutdown\restarts with no hangs. I will continue to test, but it seems to have fixed the problem.
Mark Welte
Occasional Visitor

I figured out my issue today while troubleshooting the issue again. It was intermittent and the machine would not hang all of the time. Turns out it was the boot order in the BIOS and a USB drive that would hang the machine. By default the BIOS is set to DVD > USB > etc with the RAID controller being fourth on the list. We were using a USB key to load images and drivers and the machine would hang once in a while with the key in. But other times it would boot cleanly. Moved the RAID controller to it first in the boot position and no more hangs.
nitest

After Update of Firmware and drivers, incl. changing the boot order, the problem is not resolved. The hangs are still random.
There is no differenz between 32 Bit and 64 Bit Windows Server 2003.
We will try the same with Windows 2008.
Can anybody resolve the problem?
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Our server reboots fine now after we ran the latest HP Software Support Pack. After launching it we checked the box to search the HP FTP site as well. It found several newer drivers, most importantly the P400 controller driver. Initially after we created a second array (raid 1) for the SQL TLog it seemed the reboot hangs started. Updating the P400 worked for us. If you ran the HP Support Pack to update everything you should be OK. We've found some discrepanies when trying to find the latest drivers and firmware - what is listed on the HP Support and Drivers download for the server may not be the latest ones.
nitest

We did install the servers with smartstart 8.25 or 8.30
The first hangs on reboot were after installing SP2.
Update of all Firmware and Driver, did not resolve the problem.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Can you provide a little more detail. Does the server start to post at all? Is it hanging after issuing a Shutdown\Restart". Did you add any extra components?
V.Wei├Я
Occasional Advisor

I too had this described problem with server hangs with black screen prior to boot.
HP Service advised me to update the bios.
I tried BIOS-Update. Server run, no problem, but one week later, when we made a scheduled reboot, the server hangs again.
I updated the firmware on the smartarray controller P400 to V6.86 (as mentioned above)
-> One reboot normaly, the second fails
Now HP Service comes to change the systemboard.
We'll see...
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Please post again with an update after the MB is replaced. Just this week yet another G5P in the same server landscape has experienced a problem. This time the problem is not a hang on reboot it's a black screen. We were able to ping the server and start a RDP session (entered user id and pwd), saw applying computer settings and then it hung. Users reported their applications were not accessible. Not sure yet if this is a app problem or hardware related.