108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL385 G5P hangs on restart

SOLVED
Go to solution
V.Wei├Я
Occasional Advisor

The HP Service Assistent was there and changed the MB. After running Maintenance CD 8.60 (I think so. He says, it was the latest)the server boots normaly. We have scheduled a test reboot for tomorrow.
I'll post, if it fails or not.
I don't trust, because the old and the new board are the same hardware-revision "0K"
V.Wei├Я
Occasional Advisor

However the Board is changed, but the problem is still there. Now the server has additionaly problems during bootprogress. Manually restart has no problems.
I've no idea.
We switched the networkcable from NIC1 to NIC2 waiting for tomorrow scheduled restart.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

you need firmwarevmaintenance cd 8.6
and also software cd rom 8.3

then ilo driver 1.8 and management driver toovimportant now reboot

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01704271&dimid=1045547850&dicid=alr_apr09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/apr09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

This is how you thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

V.Wei├Я
Occasional Advisor

Afte changing the MB we had the same problem after the second reboot.

HP Service had no idea, except to clear the NVRAM. We did that, not thinking it would help us. But till now server does not have any problems.
We are waiting for the next scheduled restart on Tuesday.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Did clearing nvram after replacing the MB fix your problem? At this point we have 5 servers (all g5p's) that exhibit the same condition. Sometimes they restart ok other times they don't. All firmware, drivers and software agents are up to date. Did see some reference to it being iLO related, however servers are at 1.12 now. Equal or greater than 1.11.0 was supposed to fix the problem.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm try this what happens now

1. Reboot the server and press F9 to enter RBSU.
2. Select "Power Management Options."
3. Select "Advanced Power Management Options."
4. Select "Minimum Processor Idle Power State."
5. Select "C1E" or "No C-States."

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

also try a reboot but first go in to run box and msconfig and select boot.ini option safe mode what happens now

can we boot okay in safe mode

V.Wei├Я
Occasional Advisor

We changed the complete Hardware, except the HDDs. The failure comes with, but not with blackscreen, with frozen screen.

The frozen screen comes at the shutdown.

We tried to setup the server completly new, because we think, it's a software/OS error.

We don't have any further experiences.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Have not tried the F9 procedure mentioned above because the servers are in production (24x7). Will have to wait till next scheduled outage. To summarize, Insight Manager reports no hardware issues - Windows System log shows event log shutting done after Restart is issued, which is normal. server sits on a blank screen (no messages) are displayed. Server is still under power (disk and front panel LEDs are lit). There are no other event log messages posted until we manually power off\on - then all new messages posted are normal. Seems something hangs the restart request from continuing. Can't tell whether it's Windows, application software or is HP related. We have this issue on all DL385 G5p models. The 300 other model Proliants are fine. All are built using the latest HP software, drivers and firmware. We normally do not do F9 and change any settings during builds.
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

I'm running windows 2003 sp2 with the latest firmware and psp from HP. The server doesn't restart intermittently and I end up with a gray screen just as windows is shutting down.

I have scheduled a shutdown/restart every 10 minutes and it is very random when it doesn't complete. It does seem more frequent with 2 CPUs than with only 1 CPU on the system board. The system board has been replaced.

Also randomly I see the Red Screen with invalid OpCode and a dump of the CPU registers right after the HP Proliant screen before POST.

I have a case open with HP support and if anyone else has a case I would like to know the number because they are denying any knowledge of others with this issue.