SOLVED
Go to solution
V.Wei├Я
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL385 G5P hangs on restart

Same as me.

In my case they denied it, too.
My case # is 4606941913

They also weren't able to help me. I talked to the second level, sending HPS-Report more times. Even sometimes, while taking the HPS-Report, the server hangs, and need to be restarted manually.

Has anyone experiences of Lotus Notes Dominino Server 8.5 with Intel CPUs or DL385 G6 ???
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

I have done significant testing on this issue with different combinations of the P400 array controller and system board ROM BIOS.

I have gone over 150 reboots with no hang issues using the following firmware.
P400 - 6.86
ROM BIOS - 2009.07.10

I have also tested using the latest of both ROM BIOS and P400 firmware which will generate random "Red Screen" with an "Illegal Opcode" message on bootup after the HP logo screen.
P400 - 7.08 and ROM BIOS dated 2009.12.17 caused this issue.

I am currently testing with ROM BIOS 2009.07.10 and P400 - 7.08 and haven't seen any issues yet. I have decided to look at P400 - 7.08 firmware because HP lists this as critical and to update to this firmware immediately.

A new Firmware CD V8.7 has been released this week with the ROM BIOS and P400 controller firmwarewhich I tested and mentioned above.

Just to reiterate the latest BIOS causes "Red Screens" intermittently on boot up after the HP Logo.

All the test have been done using the default bios settings.

WCzar
Frequent Advisor

The the DL385 G5p servers that hang on Restart are A22 at 07/10/2009. Firmware is 6.80 - the P400 controllers are at 6.86. We too have been able to issue consecutive restarts from Windows without any issues, but after a period of time (several days or weeks) we again experience random hangs. We have not seen any "red" error screens. Have yet to try the latest bios or P400 updates. If anyone tested with the latest updates please advise.
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

I thought the hanging issue on restart was working after hundreds of automated shutdown/restarts. I handed the server over to our DBA for SQL 2005 installation and during the reboot process it hung.

I believe HP is working on the issue with engineering but have not found the cause yet.

wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

There may be more issues than just the reboot hang issue. I have come across perfromance isuess. A simple vbs script runs 8 seconds on one server and 22 seconds on another. It doesn't do anything more than a simple loop.

If you run cscript.exe cpubusy2.vbs on multiple servers you may see the timing discrepancy.

My PC with 2GHz processor runs it twice as fast as 2.4GHz server.
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

There is a power management firmware update from version 2.3 to 2.9 which corrects the CPU from not running at full speed. This explains my program running 2-3 times longer compared to another server. The DBAs will be happy.

Just need a solution to the hanging on reboot.
Sam L Sanders

Yes, we have experienced this issue on more than 40 new DL385 G5p servers. We also opened a case with HP and got no help, saying it is not their issue. I have provided memory dumps to Microsoft and they thought at first it was a USB issue requiring a hotfix, but that hotfix did not fix it. The issue is like what many are describing. The hang occurs on a reboot when the server tries to go down as opposed to coming up. We have to iLo into the server and manually reboot it. We have recently learned that 5 new G5p servers running Red Hat Linux are also showing the same issue. So we have high expectations that this is a hardware issue. HP, you need to own up and start working a fix. We are one of your largest customers, and this has been such a pain, we're ready to bring this up to the procurement office for considering other vendors.
Sam L Sanders

There is another issue on these same servers we are beginning to see other than the hangs. The issue is that users will report that they get a system error stating that c: drive is not available. They're not even accessing that drive directly. Then moments later all the user sessions are dropped. We then have to reboot the server. We have these running as Citrix PS 4.0 servers on Windows 2003 sp2. Another issue less prominent, but occasional, is where the NIC drivers will revert back to older drivers, and you can't anchor the drivers down to work with the miniport drivers. You have to clear out all the nic drivers and then reinstall.
hpnotest

Testing the reboot-problem gave me some results.
I did install one of my dl385 g5p without smartstart, i didn├В┬┤t get the reboot-problem at the same Server who had the problem before.
So I think it is a software problem with the smart start because installing the psp after
--> no problems after two weeks
Other Server installed with a linux had also no more reboot problems.
If you change your raid-disks with another raid-disks of an different operating-system, i think it would work.

WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Hang condition occurs for us whether it's a restart or shutdown from W2K3. Happened again yesterday on two 385 g5 p servers we had to restart. This time we tried a shutdown. We're left on a gray screen with no error messages. Servers remained powered on. We opened a support ticket with HP and were told it must be application related... hmmmmm. We patched Microsoft in and they were not able to determine what causes the hang because the system is already in restart\shutdown mode. We doubt it's a MS problem or a 3rd party app issue because it happens on all our 385 g5 P servers regardless of the OS or applications. As mentioned earlier in this thread we thought we solved the problem by using the 7/10 bios and 6.86 P400 driver. We were able to reboot the servers 20+ times over a two day period without an issue. Then a few weeks later when we rebooted the servers they hung again. HP where are you on this issue ?????