Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 G5P hangs on restart

SOLVED
Go to solution
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

DL385 G5P hangs on restart

Has anyone experienced a hang problem with W2K3 32 or 64 bit on a DL385 G5P server when a start\shutdown\restart is issued. The console screen is black with no verbiage. There is no bugcheck. The servers then need to be manually powered off\on. The Windows system log shows event 6006 (log shutdown) as the last message after the restart request. Have updated the HP management software, drivers, firmware and bios to the latest. The hang(s) are random. Any\all ideas welcome. Thx.
37 REPLIES
Mark Welte
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL385 G5P hangs on restart

I had the same issue last week. Installed Server 2008 x64 w SP2. Came back to a hung server. No error lights, etc. Server restarted and never came back up. Performing a reinstall to see if I can duplicate error. This will be a production server so I am not real enthused to have this issue.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

The problem may be fixed fixed. Using HP Support and Drivers downloads for the 385 g5P I updated the bios, firmware (cd) and software (cd). There were however a few more updates that I found by running the psp (software support pack) from Support and Drivers. One update was firmware for the P400 controller, which I had already upgraded to version 5.26. However, there is now a 6.86 version. I updated all 4 of my servers and ran numerous start\shutdown\restarts with no hangs. I will continue to test, but it seems to have fixed the problem.
Mark Welte
Occasional Visitor

I figured out my issue today while troubleshooting the issue again. It was intermittent and the machine would not hang all of the time. Turns out it was the boot order in the BIOS and a USB drive that would hang the machine. By default the BIOS is set to DVD > USB > etc with the RAID controller being fourth on the list. We were using a USB key to load images and drivers and the machine would hang once in a while with the key in. But other times it would boot cleanly. Moved the RAID controller to it first in the boot position and no more hangs.
nitest
Occasional Visitor

After Update of Firmware and drivers, incl. changing the boot order, the problem is not resolved. The hangs are still random.
There is no differenz between 32 Bit and 64 Bit Windows Server 2003.
We will try the same with Windows 2008.
Can anybody resolve the problem?
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Our server reboots fine now after we ran the latest HP Software Support Pack. After launching it we checked the box to search the HP FTP site as well. It found several newer drivers, most importantly the P400 controller driver. Initially after we created a second array (raid 1) for the SQL TLog it seemed the reboot hangs started. Updating the P400 worked for us. If you ran the HP Support Pack to update everything you should be OK. We've found some discrepanies when trying to find the latest drivers and firmware - what is listed on the HP Support and Drivers download for the server may not be the latest ones.
nitest
Occasional Visitor

We did install the servers with smartstart 8.25 or 8.30
The first hangs on reboot were after installing SP2.
Update of all Firmware and Driver, did not resolve the problem.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Can you provide a little more detail. Does the server start to post at all? Is it hanging after issuing a Shutdown\Restart". Did you add any extra components?
V.Weiß
Occasional Advisor

I too had this described problem with server hangs with black screen prior to boot.
HP Service advised me to update the bios.
I tried BIOS-Update. Server run, no problem, but one week later, when we made a scheduled reboot, the server hangs again.
I updated the firmware on the smartarray controller P400 to V6.86 (as mentioned above)
-> One reboot normaly, the second fails
Now HP Service comes to change the systemboard.
We'll see...
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Please post again with an update after the MB is replaced. Just this week yet another G5P in the same server landscape has experienced a problem. This time the problem is not a hang on reboot it's a black screen. We were able to ping the server and start a RDP session (entered user id and pwd), saw applying computer settings and then it hung. Users reported their applications were not accessible. Not sure yet if this is a app problem or hardware related.
V.Weiß
Occasional Advisor

The HP Service Assistent was there and changed the MB. After running Maintenance CD 8.60 (I think so. He says, it was the latest)the server boots normaly. We have scheduled a test reboot for tomorrow.
I'll post, if it fails or not.
I don't trust, because the old and the new board are the same hardware-revision "0K"
V.Weiß
Occasional Advisor

However the Board is changed, but the problem is still there. Now the server has additionaly problems during bootprogress. Manually restart has no problems.
I've no idea.
We switched the networkcable from NIC1 to NIC2 waiting for tomorrow scheduled restart.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

you need firmwarevmaintenance cd 8.6
and also software cd rom 8.3

then ilo driver 1.8 and management driver toovimportant now reboot

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01704271&dimid=1045547850&dicid=alr_apr09&jumpid=em_alerts/us/apr09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

This is how you thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

V.Weiß
Occasional Advisor

Afte changing the MB we had the same problem after the second reboot.

HP Service had no idea, except to clear the NVRAM. We did that, not thinking it would help us. But till now server does not have any problems.
We are waiting for the next scheduled restart on Tuesday.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Did clearing nvram after replacing the MB fix your problem? At this point we have 5 servers (all g5p's) that exhibit the same condition. Sometimes they restart ok other times they don't. All firmware, drivers and software agents are up to date. Did see some reference to it being iLO related, however servers are at 1.12 now. Equal or greater than 1.11.0 was supposed to fix the problem.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm try this what happens now

1. Reboot the server and press F9 to enter RBSU.
2. Select "Power Management Options."
3. Select "Advanced Power Management Options."
4. Select "Minimum Processor Idle Power State."
5. Select "C1E" or "No C-States."

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

also try a reboot but first go in to run box and msconfig and select boot.ini option safe mode what happens now

can we boot okay in safe mode

V.Weiß
Occasional Advisor

We changed the complete Hardware, except the HDDs. The failure comes with, but not with blackscreen, with frozen screen.

The frozen screen comes at the shutdown.

We tried to setup the server completly new, because we think, it's a software/OS error.

We don't have any further experiences.
WCzar
Frequent Advisor

Have not tried the F9 procedure mentioned above because the servers are in production (24x7). Will have to wait till next scheduled outage. To summarize, Insight Manager reports no hardware issues - Windows System log shows event log shutting done after Restart is issued, which is normal. server sits on a blank screen (no messages) are displayed. Server is still under power (disk and front panel LEDs are lit). There are no other event log messages posted until we manually power off\on - then all new messages posted are normal. Seems something hangs the restart request from continuing. Can't tell whether it's Windows, application software or is HP related. We have this issue on all DL385 G5p models. The 300 other model Proliants are fine. All are built using the latest HP software, drivers and firmware. We normally do not do F9 and change any settings during builds.
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

I'm running windows 2003 sp2 with the latest firmware and psp from HP. The server doesn't restart intermittently and I end up with a gray screen just as windows is shutting down.

I have scheduled a shutdown/restart every 10 minutes and it is very random when it doesn't complete. It does seem more frequent with 2 CPUs than with only 1 CPU on the system board. The system board has been replaced.

Also randomly I see the Red Screen with invalid OpCode and a dump of the CPU registers right after the HP Proliant screen before POST.

I have a case open with HP support and if anyone else has a case I would like to know the number because they are denying any knowledge of others with this issue.

V.Weiß
Occasional Advisor

Same as me.

In my case they denied it, too.
My case # is 4606941913

They also weren't able to help me. I talked to the second level, sending HPS-Report more times. Even sometimes, while taking the HPS-Report, the server hangs, and need to be restarted manually.

Has anyone experiences of Lotus Notes Dominino Server 8.5 with Intel CPUs or DL385 G6 ???
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

I have done significant testing on this issue with different combinations of the P400 array controller and system board ROM BIOS.

I have gone over 150 reboots with no hang issues using the following firmware.
P400 - 6.86
ROM BIOS - 2009.07.10

I have also tested using the latest of both ROM BIOS and P400 firmware which will generate random "Red Screen" with an "Illegal Opcode" message on bootup after the HP logo screen.
P400 - 7.08 and ROM BIOS dated 2009.12.17 caused this issue.

I am currently testing with ROM BIOS 2009.07.10 and P400 - 7.08 and haven't seen any issues yet. I have decided to look at P400 - 7.08 firmware because HP lists this as critical and to update to this firmware immediately.

A new Firmware CD V8.7 has been released this week with the ROM BIOS and P400 controller firmwarewhich I tested and mentioned above.

Just to reiterate the latest BIOS causes "Red Screens" intermittently on boot up after the HP Logo.

All the test have been done using the default bios settings.

WCzar
Frequent Advisor

The the DL385 G5p servers that hang on Restart are A22 at 07/10/2009. Firmware is 6.80 - the P400 controllers are at 6.86. We too have been able to issue consecutive restarts from Windows without any issues, but after a period of time (several days or weeks) we again experience random hangs. We have not seen any "red" error screens. Have yet to try the latest bios or P400 updates. If anyone tested with the latest updates please advise.
wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

I thought the hanging issue on restart was working after hundreds of automated shutdown/restarts. I handed the server over to our DBA for SQL 2005 installation and during the reboot process it hung.

I believe HP is working on the issue with engineering but have not found the cause yet.

wxp_ne
Occasional Advisor

There may be more issues than just the reboot hang issue. I have come across perfromance isuess. A simple vbs script runs 8 seconds on one server and 22 seconds on another. It doesn't do anything more than a simple loop.

If you run cscript.exe cpubusy2.vbs on multiple servers you may see the timing discrepancy.

My PC with 2GHz processor runs it twice as fast as 2.4GHz server.