108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL385 G8: Effective Processor Removal question

SOLVED
Go to solution
RedLimey
Advisor

DL385 G8: Effective Processor Removal question

A customer has purchased a Proliant DL385 G8. It has 2 CPU's with 12 Cores total. Now they've realized they will need to pay $9k if they want to install SQL as the existing licensing only covers one physical CPU.

From what I'm reading, I believe reducing the # of Cores isn't going to be a legit or practical way. Reduced in multiples of 4, if it were a case of lowering to 6 or less Cores, I'd have to configure as 4 total ... but that still employs cores on both CPUs, right?

SO! I think the best option will be to remove a CPU. Questions I have:

1. Is it as simple as removing one of the CPU's or is a 'terminator' or 'blank' needed in place of it?

2. Does it matter which CPU slot needs to be populate?

Note: The server has already been shipped to a remote location (en route), otherwise I'd test it out myself.

Thanks in advance,

Red

3 REPLIES 3
TVVJ
HPE Pro
Solution

1. Processor must be populated in slot 1 always. If processor in socket 2 is removed, then install heatsink blank and fan blanks in fan slot 1 and 2.

2. Processor population order is important. At any time a working processor needs to be installed in processor socket 1, if not Component identification > Hot-plug fans in the server's user guide for fan population guide line. Furthermore, fan connectors are identified in the "System board components". Refer to section Component identification > "System board components in the user guide, item 1,5,8,10, 13 under figure "System board components" in the user guide for more information.

Click here to access the guide.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo

RedLimey
Advisor

Thanks Vijayasarathy. 

So, what I'm reading is that I can simply have the remote tech remove the CPU in socket 2 with no need for a terminating replacement.

I don't see any need to remove the fans that will be in place. I don't have a heasink blank, so unless I'm overlooking something, this should not be a problem?

Again, thanks for your assistance.

Red

TVVJ
HPE Pro

The server’s user guide indicates that in a single processor configuration, fan blanks must be installed in fan bays 1 and 2 to avoid damage to server components. Thus in addition to installing the heatsink blank, remove the fans and install fan blanks in those positions.

The following may also be kept in consideration while uninstalling processor in socket 2:

a)      Expansion Slots PCIe Riser #1 alone is available when a single processor is installed. Thus expansion slots 1, 2 and 3 alone are available with single processor configuration.

b)      Only half of the total memory capacity of the server is available with a single processor and that is available through processor socket 1’s DIMM slots. DIMM slots of processor socket 2 are not available to the system when it is not populated. This means that only the twelve DIMM slots of processor socket 1 is available to the system and the rest are not detected.

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HPE
Views expressed herein are my personal opinion and are not the views of HPE

Accept or Kudo