cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 Shared Network iLO Port Questions

Christopher Johnston
Occasional Visitor

DL385 Shared Network iLO Port Questions

I have been running this setup in our lab environment just to cut down on port usage on our switches. We have considered pushing this out in our production core servers however there are a few small hitches I have found in the process. If you do a "power off" from the iLO CLI the connection to the iLO gets dropped and the machine becomes inaccessible. I end up having to go into the lab and powering the system back up again. Also during an OS reboot you also loose access to the iLO until the OS comes back online again. We have also had a few kernel panics here and there where the network connection is lost and the iLO drops off also.

Is there a workaround here to force the link to stay up? In a normal 2 patch solution where you have a network drop going to the iLO and onboard NIC if you power off the system from the iLO it goes in standby mode which is the behavior I was hoping for. In shared mode it doesnt seem to be performing as a "lights out" management card if I cant put a system in standby mode.

Any ideas? or is this the expected behavior.
2 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: DL385 Shared Network iLO Port Questions

for connection lost Update latest Driver for NIC and Team if used and

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_ES040714_CW03

The Shared Network Port feature on ProLiant servers allows system administrators to access iLO using a network connection shared with the host operating system. This feature reduces the number of network connections required to manage the server. The Shared Network Port operates like a miniature network switch, routing iLO information to the iLO network interface and server operating system information to the operating system network interface.

Shared with the host operating system seems to be normal for Non operational server no activity
also Shared has only limited function of iLO

Christopher Johnston
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL385 Shared Network iLO Port Questions

Sorry for not mentioning im running linux

- already running 82f for iLO
- already running the latest bcm5700 driver
- already reflashed the nic to the latest firmware 3.27 for linux
- I am not using DHCP as its a static IP

Actually when I reboot the system or power off from the CLI I completely lose link. It seems as if in shared mode the onboard NIC no longer has power.