7538 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

DL385 + Unattend

Torsten Streng
Advisor

DL385 + Unattend

Hi,

Unfortunatelly it is not possible to set a static IP adress for a DL385. There´s no problem e.g. with a DL380.
After an unattend installation the IP adress is set from DHCP, you can see the gateway adress but it´s greyed out. DNS and WINS entries are configured correctly (no DHCP entries).
I specify these entries in the unattend file by PCI BUS Number, Device Number and Function Number. This runs very fine with DL380 but not with DL385.

Anybody an idea ?
3 REPLIES 3
Torsten Streng
Advisor

Re: DL385 + Unattend

Hello ?

Mr. HP ???
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Which operating system?

Recently, I installed RedHat Linux ES4 to four DL385s. I used RedHat's "Kickstart" unattended installation system. The network parameters got set up just fine.

Setting IP parameters is more dependent on the OS than the hardware: if I guess your OS correctly, you'd better ask your question in the Windows forum.

Remember that the PCI Bus/Device/Function numbers are probably not the same in DL380 and DL385, because the systems use different chipsets (very different CPU -> different bus architecture -> different chipset).
MK
Torsten Streng
Advisor

Yes I know that the PCI Bus Number is different to a DL380. We install the server automatically by Enteo Netinstall/OSD with Windows 2003. It works fine with every configuration we created (HP Netserver LPR, HP Netserver LP1000R, Compaq Proliant ML370, HP Proliant DL380, VMware...). There's only a problem with DL385.
On a DL380 there's a different Device Number between the onboard network adapters. The DL385 has different Function Numbers.
I think that Windows 2003 has a problem to choose the correct network adapter.