Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 and Rundant Fans

John Griffin_3
Occasional Contributor

DL385 and Rundant Fans

Hi,
I've got a DL385 with a single 280 2.4GHz dual-core and the redundant fan kit. The server is running 2003 R2 with the PSP 7.40B and the updated R2 management pack.

The fans on the unit are extremely loud, they do not seem to slow down at all when the OS loads. So following other threads on the 380G4, i checked the diagnostics which shows the fan speed as "normal".
To prove the theory, i removed two fans while it was running, expecting the other fans to speed up. Noting that this is a single CPU model, with the additional optional redundant fan kit (3 extra fans), by removing two fans i still had more than the base unit.

I'm suprised that when i remove the fans, the management driver immediately starts to shut down the server.

Is this behaviour expected? What's the point of adding 3 extra fans to then have the server shut down if two fail? What happened to the variable speed fans spinning up to give you time to replace the failed fans?
3 REPLIES
nurascorpio
Regular Advisor

Re: DL385 and Rundant Fans

Hey john,

Would like to know whats the total capacity of memory on the server ?

Whats the total number of fans in the sever ?

Please ignore if i am repeating the question.. what is the system rom version on the server ?

Latest version is .. http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24459.html

Came across this advisory - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EL050819_CW01
John Griffin_3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response.

There is currently 1GB (2x512) or ram in the server.

There are 8 fans in the box, max capacity.

Running the latest ROM that you linked to.

I can't seem to open the advisory link that you posted though, got a 404. Could you possibly try pasting it again?
nurascorpio
Regular Advisor