cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL385 crashes after upgrade to Broadcom NC7782 driver v.10.24.0.0

C T Tripp
Occasional Contributor

DL385 crashes after upgrade to Broadcom NC7782 driver v.10.24.0.0

The subject says it all; I upgrade my two DL385 cluster servers with this driver, and both crashed. One server I managed to bring back up, but the NICs didn't work. I deleted and reinstalled the updated driver, reconfigured the NICs IP addresses, and the server works fine.

Since I was able to upgrade the one, I went ahead and upgraded the other server. It also crashed, and I deleted and reinstalled the upgraded driver like on the first server, but the second server does nothing but boot, bluescreen and reboot. I try booting into safe mode, but it hangs while loading acpitabl.dat.

Does anyone know of a way to recover, other than rebuilding the server and restoring from tape? Does anyone know what the issue with this driver is?
5 REPLIES
C T Tripp
Occasional Contributor

Re: DL385 crashes after upgrade to Broadcom NC7782 driver v.10.24.0.0

I solved my own problem. I just let the server BSOD and reboot to its heart's content until the server recovered on its own. It seemed to run fine with the new driver at that point, but I decided to downgrade to v. 9.52.0.0, until I understand what went wrong with the newer driver.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Did you upgrade just the NIC-driver or did you install a new Proliant support pack?
(chipset support, system firmware)
Is this NIC the cluster interconnect?
What OS version? (propably W2k3? as packaged cluster?)
C T Tripp
Occasional Contributor

I installed it as an individual driver, but as part of a series of driver upgrades using HP SIM and Version Control Agent. The Broadcom NICs are on both the public and private networks. It's Win2K3 on a cluster server.
C T Tripp
Occasional Contributor

Just a follow-up: I tried to upgrade this again, but with the same results. Actually, worse results, as the upgrade appeared to work correctly, but then the server crashed about 20 minutes later. Rolled back to 9.52
chs-net-engineer
Occasional Visitor

My DL360-G4p crashed when I was running the Broadcom NC7782 driver v.10.24.0.0 and then attempted to change the "Checksum Offload" from the default setting (i.e., "Tx/Rx TCP/IP Checksum") to "None" under the NIC Advanced Properties. Upon making this change the server suffered an immediate BSOD.

I rebooted with "Last Known Good Config" and quickly reverted the NIC driver back to v9.81.0.0. This resolved my problem.