108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL385 randomly powers off

SOLVED
Go to solution
rdwill
Occasional Contributor

DL385 randomly powers off

I have a DL385 that will stay powered on for about 30 minutes at a time and will then power itself off. The System Management Homepage is reporting no hardware issues and there isn't anything in any of the logs. Can someone point me in the right direction in regards to determining what the issue with this server is?

Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

LED status ?
Additional parts?
Minimize configuration?
Smart Start diagnostic?
Swap PPM or converter from another server?
Use one CPU and one PPM/VRM.
Reseat all parts.
Any line with ASR entry?
What server does do after it goes down ?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello rdwill,

Any scheduled tasks running every 30minutes?
Whats the OS?
If MS,any related entries in event log?

SRH
rdwill
Occasional Contributor

There are no scheduled tasks, it is a clean install of Windows Server 2003 SR2. Unfortunately, there are no entries in the event log either.

Before the server powers off the LED light is green, after it shuts down it is red. Otherwise the server doesn't do anything after it shuts down.

It has a Network card(in slot 1) and a SMART ARRAY 6400 controller(in slot 3 installed). I've removed both of these and the problem continues. I've reseated all of the memory and the fans.

I've ran the Smart Start diagnostic utility and nothing failed.
Robert Demmer_1
Esteemed Contributor

hi,

is it possible to temporarily disable the server from lan connection and/or serial communication with ups (if any) - just to exclude from external error sources. Did you check UPS logs?

robert

Randy1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

rdwill,

My suggestion is to boot server to the Smart Start CD and let it sit here for longer then the 30 minutes that you've calculated.

Booting from the Smart Start CD and leaving it in this environment will rule out Software or hardware.

If it is a hardware issue it will continue to reboot.

If it is a Software issue then booting to the Smart Start CD loads it to a linux environment thus if the server does not reboot during this time then the issue is your OS of applications causing this.

Also, rule out a UPS or UPS software sending shutdown requests to the server.

I personally would run Server diags during this time just so the server and components are doing something and not just sitting idle.

I would assume that since it is happening every 30 minutes the issue is likely to be OS/software related.

Good luck.