8010 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL385G6 Array/Harddisk Problem

inti
Advisor

DL385G6 Array/Harddisk Problem

Hi Folks,

I got a very strange Issue with a new DL385G6 Server.

We have two 72GB SAS Drives as RAID-1 in this System and when I first installed and configured the System (with W2k8SP2) I noticed some severe Slowdowns while working on it.

I couldn't find any warnings/errors in ACU but noticed a strange, periodic clicking noise from the Disks. I pulled one of the two Disks and the System speed was back to normal.

I replaced the Disk via warranty and everything seemed fine at first. However a couple of days later, ACU was repording a prodictive Failure on this newly changed Disk. So we changed it again.

After Changing the Disk I watched the Rebuild Process for a while and noticed, that at about 30% it slowed down drastically (1% took like hours) and the clicking noise and system slowdown was back. When I looked at the System some Days later, the Rebuild seemed complete, however the Drive in the first Slot (which has been replaced twice now) shows a predictive failure again.

When I try to do a Image Backup, it fails with I/O Error somewhere at 50%.

This all does not make very much sense for me. Why is a Drive not kicked out of the RAID if there are Reding Errors ? Why runs the System at normal Speed with just one Drive ? What is with this predictive failures .. from what I think, in fact the other Drive seems to have Problems ?

Could it be, that in fact the Controller/Backplane has some Problem ?
4 REPLIES 4
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

Firmware Maintenance CD with system update.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3949986&prodNameId=3949988&swEnvOID=4022&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-cdee9b93a98c43bb95653f9d41

Problem persists boot server with Smart Start --> Maintain server --> Insight Diagnostic Offline edition : Complete test + all devices + unattendend + Number of loop = 3 ( u can select 1 loop test but 3 will provide more accurate result)
This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

TTr
Honored Contributor

> I pulled one of the two Disks and the System speed was back to normal.

How did you decide which disk to pull?

> After Changing the Disk I watched the Rebuild Process for a while and noticed, that at about 30% it slowed down drastically (1% took like hours) and the clicking noise and system slowdown was back.

Most likely the cause of all the problems is on the "other" disk and not the one you have been replacing.

Run a file backup (not image) this way you will pick up most (or all) of the files and be prepared to reinstall. Then you can copy back the data files that you need.
inti
Advisor

Hi,

I've just started the Insight Diagnostice run.
Interesting is, that in System now during bootup there are now reported SMART-Errors on both Disks, however ACU does still only report the one in Bay1 as predictive failure.

I guess, changing the other Disk (crossing fingers) is the only Option left. I'm not sure why I decided to pull the first Disk. I just thought it might be the right one, as the system speed up after pulling.

The Disks I got as replacement both have a different HP-Part Number than the one I didn't replace yet.
inti
Advisor

Interesting,

Short Offline Selttest fails on the second Disk, the other one seems ok. Thats just the opposite of what ACU/ADU reports (verified via Serial-Numbers). So I'll try my luck with the other Disk.

Thank you so far.