cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL580 1st gen : how to install System Partition

Gertjan
Occasional Visitor

DL580 1st gen : how to install System Partition

Hello, I have recently purchased a DL580 firstgen server for self-educational purpose, 4 36GB SCSI disks, 4P700 proc, 6GB Ram. I have been able to install W2003 Serv on it. I now want to re-install everything, and would like to have the System Partition on it (the one you access with the F10 key during boot). I have downloaded SmartStart 5.50, booted from it, first erased everything. Then a reboot followed. I am asked for time/date, configure array, and then can choose to install an OS. I am aware to choose W2000, but how does the F10 partition gets placed? According to other sources, this should happen automatically. After a final reboot, when I press F10, I get just a blinking cursor, and nothing happens. I am able to get W2003 installed after configuring the array, but I would like to be able to do some things in the BIOS. Thanks for advice!
Gertjan
6 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL580 1st gen : how to install System Partition

first of all F10 during POST is to access RBSU(Bios)

maybe you are trying to use ORCA which can be accessed by pressing F8 during the Smart Array is being recognize

second is the latest
SmartStart 7.7
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27210.html

and using Array configuration utility in this CD you will handle the configuration of your HDD

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Gertjan
Occasional Visitor

Hello K.

Thanks for this answer. I am able to get the array configured and install the OS. What I want to accomplish is to get the System Partition on the system. As far as I could find, this needs to be done with the 5.5 smartstart. I already have the 7.8 smartstart also downloaded. I need to be able to get into the F10 (system partition) to be able to set some BIOS options for easier access. (like ignoring the need to press the F1 key)
Thanks again
Gertjan
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

well in my case I know the only way to create/extend/... a partition is using a third party component like

Acronis Partition Expert

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/diskdirectorsuite/partitioning.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Gertjan,

It should be installed with the Smartstart 5.50 CD however something may have gone wrong with erase or the next few procedures to build the system partition.

Although you don't have the F10 partition, you can still run the System Configuration Utility from floppy.

See the folowing link where you can download the SCU if required and get other help on the rebuild process.

http://www.geocities.com/rlcomp_1999/manual-smartstart.html

Regards,

Brian
Gertjan
Occasional Visitor

Hi Brian,

Thanks, that is info I was looking for!

Gertjan

Gertjan
Occasional Visitor

The link as proposed by Brian has good info and steps to get this resolved.