1752596 Members
5183 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL580 Fan Noise

Mike Shields_1
Occasional Visitor

DL580 Fan Noise

I have a Proliant DL580 where the fans are constantly running at full speed. I have tried setting it up using Windows 2000 Server and 2003 Server. In both cases I applied the HP/Compaq Support Pack for Windows. With all of the previous DL580's I have set up this is the point at which the fan speed would switch to LOW but it always runs at HIGH with this unit. Any ideas?
6 REPLIES 6

Re: DL580 Fan Noise

Hello Mike.

Are you getting any post error, event viewer or Integrated management log viewer reporting any problem about thermal issues or fan problem?

Try reseating all the hotpluggable fans, also verify the cables to the hotplug fan connector are plugged into the power backplane properly, reseating that will help too. Also listen to what fan is sounding loud.

Good luck

-Iynkaran J
Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.
Mike Shields_1
Occasional Visitor

There are no post errors and no errors in event viewer or insight manager that indicate a fan problem. I have reseated the fans and cabling with no change. All the fans are equally loud and spinning at full speed.
Kevin Karr

I have a similar problem thats been occurring on a ML570 for quite some time. It appears like the problem started after we replaced a bad CPU in the machine. The Fan board was taken out at one point and put back in and the System BIOS was flashed to a newer version. Since then we've tried to update the system managment drivers (?) with no luck at fixing the fan speed issue.

If you find out a solution please let me know as I'm afraid of burning out the fans if this goes on for much longer since they have been running for QUITE some time this way.

Kevin
Mike Suppenbach

I too have two DL580's with this exact problem. I have tried everything from re-seating fans, to installing SmartStart ver 5.2 and 5.3 at bootup, to installing the compaq utilities after the Windows 2000 Server install and I have even tried WIN 2003 server.
I am SO frustrated at these two machines I feel like pulling them out of the rack and using them for a foot stool.
What the heck can we do to correct this annoying situation?
Please help Compaq/HP!
Ron Horist

I have the same server too. Has anyone come up with an idea on how to slow these fans down? They are very annoying....
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

You have to install the latest HP agents to control the fan speed

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22359.html

The fan speed can be controlled from the setup utility (If you have the latest BIOS firmware)

Hope this helps

Rgds

HGN